Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Southwards

When it got light I pumped Lil' Dreamer with air and.... it held. Boarded the dogs, put back on the outboard (not in that order), and headed to the town dingy docks, this time choosing a parking spot much more carefully. Walked the dogs, headed back to the boat, prepared her for cruising, and we left. Yesterday's cruise was 32.35 miles. The wind was against us pretty much the whole time so it was just cruising and no sailing. Again we are traveling through shallow waters with a narrow channel that runs about 10-12 feet deep. Tropical Dreamer draws 4.5 feet. My depth meter alarms at 4 feet below the keel, or 8.5 feet of water. There were several alarms yesterday as I inadvertently drifted out of the channel. Fortunately, I only grounded once. It was a pretty serious one right at the end of the day. I was trying to decifer the directions to tonight's anchorage and I took a left after the marker instead of before it. I could feel the boat ride up onto the sandy shelf. I was sure I was going to have to call the tow boat to get me off, but after several minutes of back and forth thrusting, I gradually reversed myself off and floated away. I couldn't believe it. Tonight's anchorage is on a wide channel about a mile off the intercoastal waterway. On one side of me are beautiful marshes and on the other the beach houses that line the Atlantic shore. The cruising guide sent us to anthor spot near this small marsh island in the middle of the channel, but that didn't make sense to me since there are dozens of nice landing points for dingy exploration all along the channel. The anchorage's bad point, though probably all anchorages in these parts have this problem, is the tidal currents. They change direction and if the wind is going one way and the tide the other (like now), its confusing for the boat. It circles the anchor chain and scuffs the bottom of the boat. Sounds even worse sitting on the inside of the boat. But I don't think there's anything that I can do about it so I check that we are still holding and go back below.

Comments