Bookmark and Share
Lemons Way
The continuing adventures of a cruising sailor/family lawyer, his wife (also a lawyer), and their young children.
Sunset In Charleston
Keith, nice

It is 6:30 a.m. and the sun is about to come over the horizon. The dogs are still sleeping but they'll be happy to jump into action as soon as we're ready to go to shore. We took the dingy to the City Marina yesterday late afternoon. It was a long ride past a lot of fancy boats to get the place where dingys can dock. Even then it was very urban and built up and we didn't stay on shore for long - just enough time for the dogs to do their thing. Met a nice Austrailian couple on the way back. They have cruised for 10 years or more, from Austrailia, Indonisia, the whole shebang. They are heading north for the season. He said his draft is over 7 feet so he does all his traveling in the ocean and not the ICW. Says all the engine driving would drive him crazy. I kind of like it. I'm sure the dogs prefer it.

The View Ahead
08/08/2008, 60 miles to Charleston

We're anchored in a nice large secluded area about 35 miles from Charleston. We cruised about 35 miles today. It was so beautiful. South Carolina cruising is wonderful. Great scenery, deep water, plenty of places to anchor. It got a bit blustery as the sun set but the anchor held fine and we made a little power from the wind turbine while waiting out the storm. Evidently it hit much worse farther south. Cool evening. I'll bring the dogs to shore at first light and then either head the rest of the way to the big city or break the trip into two days, depending on how we feel. Need to get a few things done in Charleston, but it can wait another day or two.


And I've seen many of these along the way so far. Today the dolphins seemed to be following us - or vice versa.


I've seen several of these since arriving in South Carolina as well. As I've said before, no more free for all playing along the shores for the dogs. They would make a fine meal, but not on my watch.

Georgetown, NC
Hot and Humid

Yesterday we spent the night off the town docks in Georgetown, SC. Another nice town, but we don't have much to do except take nice walks. I don't know why I gravitate towards towns when there are so many beautiful secluded anchorages out there. My anchor dragged in a light thunderstorm due to not enough room to lay out scope, but I reset it without too much trouble. The rest of the night it held.

Shattered Dreams
Hot and buggy
08/07/2008, Bucksport

While walking with the dogs we came across this old boat. At one time it must have been somebody's Tropical Dreamer.

A secluded Anchorage 35 miles from Charleston
cool night

We cruised about 35 miles today. I was going to stop in a town for the night but it wasn't much different from the other towns so we pressed on another hour and by about 5:00 p.m. arrived at this anchorage. It is secluded, deep, and there is plenty of room. It got blustery as the sun went down but we held fine and the wind turbine put out a lot of power in the wind. Tomorrow I'll drop the dingy and take the dogs to shore in this nice spot across the way and then either head the rest of the way to Charleston or break the trip into two parts since it is so beautiful out here. South Carolina cruising is spectacular no matter what the season.

Dawn At Bucksport Anchorage
Keith, cool, still, mozzie prone

I didn't sleep much, only 5 hours or so, but it was enough to get me through to today. And what a day. I took the dogs for a nice long walk unleashed (there was nobody around to say otherwise) and headed off early. I cruised over 20 miles through this wide deep river. It was quite beautiful and idyllic. And hot. I arrived to Georgetown, SC in the early afternoon and settled down to rest until the heat of the day passed. I was awoken from my nap when a thunderstorm started to develop and Anne got a little needy - it was nice. The wind started blowing and, long story short, my anchor drug into a moored boat. No big deal, I freed it and released it and re-anchored and we've held since - I hear more thunderstorms in the distance - it may be an active night. Dropped the dingy and took the dogs to do an initial exploration of the town. It is extensive. And hot. I've been sweating a lot. Trying to rehydrate with beer, water, whatever I can get down. The sun is finally starting to go down so it should cool off a bit. I may head back into town by myself to try and find an air conditioned pub or restaurant or something. 402 miles down the ICW so far. Mixed feelings about this. Sometimes I love it and can't imagine doing anything else, sometimes I wish I had my air conditioned old life back. I do wish more people were traveling this path with me. Maybe later.

Almost 1/2 Way
Keith, there is a slight cool before the dawn breeze
08/06/2008, Buckskin

I managed a few hours of sleep on the dog's bed so I could keep the fan on me. Both dogs moved to the floor over the course of the evening - it must be cooler there. I started to get bit by something and awoke. Anne is snoring. It is still dark - I can see the lights of Mirtle Beach in the far distance. I think I'm going to sneak over to that showerhouse before everyone wakes up. Then I'll come back and take the dogs for a walk, clean up the boat a bit, and follow my parent's advice and move along. There is a larger town that I should be able to get to by early afternoon. I can park there for a bit and try and get some things done. It sure is quiet out here.

Heading Through South Carolina
Keith, H and H

South Carolina bridges have a warning not previously evident to me. Puts a whole new twist on the concept of no turning back. I'm anchored tonight off Buckskin Marina about 30 miles into SC. It is dark here tonight with only a sliver of moon. It is also hot, muggy, buggy, and swampy. I've got the little fan going full tilt clipped onto the table where I'm writing. It helps. The dogs are hanging out on deck. I've been trying to rehydrate for the last 1/2 hour. I'm, 4/6ths through my ice supply for the day and I'm on my third diet soda (I watch my sugar intake, thus the "diet"), having gone through all the cold water in the fridge. I almost passed by this anchorage because it was so hot when I arrived at around 4:00 p.m. I figured I would just press on and at least have the breeze the comes from moving, but another 10 miles after the 35 already traveled just seemed too much. This place is actually cozy in a sticky southern swampy sort of way. After the sun went down we dingied to the marina, which was pretty much empty. I checked out the bathroom/shower house and it was unlocked and air conditioned. It felt so good in there I actually hung out inside with the dogs for several minutes just enjoying the AC. This is the muggiest place we've been yet. I applied 100% deet bug spray when the first skeeter hit through my shirt and have been reapplying as needed. Fortunately I have a large supply of deet. There is a small live aboard community here, if you can call it that. It is more like subsistance boating. I met some of the local characters since I am the main attraction this week. They confirmed that there is absolutely nothing to do here. The marina hasn't had a paying customer in weeks. No work for anyone. No commerce in the area. I asked how they get food and supplies and got blank looks. I was treated to a dim flashlight exibition of the little gater that plies the shore of the marina. I am informed that water snakes also inhabit these waters. This didn't stop Jake from attempting to play in the water in the pitch dark. He could not understand why I was so insistent he stay on dry land. If there is a demarkation between north and south on this trip, I think it lies here at this anchorage. Tropical Dreamer is the nicent accomodation around tonight so I suppose I'll just enjoy it. Should be a bit more comforable in bed since I replaced my Ralph Loren comforter in the forward cabin with a single cotton sheet.


Singer Family Adventures
Port: Tucson, Arizona
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs