Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Sunrise In Beaufort, NC

I've anchored outside the city marina in Beanfort, SC. Took a long walk with the dogs early this morning after the sunrise, then put them inside the boat and went out on my own (note, when I returned hours later, Jake was back on deck, meaning he has found a way to climb back on deck from the cabin by himself). Did laundry at the marina (three washes and three dryers worth), afterwards walked to the Piggley Wiggley and did protein provision (i.e meat purchase). It is only a mile walk each way - the dogs can easily make it with me for a follow-up provision tomorrow. Next to the grocery is an incredible southern bbq joint. It was so good I took some home just to enjoy again for dinner. The combination of southern cooking (i.e african american people) and bbq is, simply, the best food there is. My clothes still smell like pit bbq. I'll go back tomorrow if we get there late enough. I bought a float switch to replace the one that isn't working (I've been running the bilge pump by manual switch 2-4 times per day for about a week - heaven forbid I should have to switch a switch for a few seconds each day - but it has to be fixed even so because if I'm not on the boat for a week for some reason, it will sink without an automatic float switch controlling the electric bilge pump) but after replacing it (the float switch) it still doesn't work. I am most concerned about my mechanical ineptitude as I head towards more dangerous long distance sailing. I called the Beaufort boatyard this morning to get repairs started but didn't get a call back. Called them again this afternoon after a frustrating and failed attempt to get the float switch working and they seemed more cooperative. Maybe tomorrow. The local marina has one 8-d battery similar to the one that went dead on TD over the last few days, but I'm reluctant to try it fearing another mechanical dissapointment. Wet weather is supposed to be coming through tonight and tomorrow. It has been overcast today and showers are coming through sporadically, but nothing too ominous. The hatches are still open letting in precious cool air. Rain spatters are coming through so I have to close them from time to time. The wind turbune is putting out enough power to keep the one working house battery charged enough for internet and perhaps some tv late tonight. It stopped running just now because it charged the system, such as it is, to over 14 volts. I'll probably be here tomorrow at least part of the day, maybe more, depending on whether the boatworks can accomodate me. The bridge that needs to open to get me there doesn't open until 9:00 am., so the morning will be slow going as usual. The day after tomorrow at the latest I expect to be on my way to Georgia.

Comments