Bookmark and Share
Lemons Way
The continuing adventures of a cruising sailor/family lawyer, his wife (also a lawyer), and their young children.
Still Eating Well
08/15/2008, Southern, South Carolina

I do make more than pasta (recall my hotdog phase), but its just a convienent and hearty boating food. I made my own meat sauce with onions and mushrooms and ground beef, a sausage link, and packaged sauce. It was good.

Parked At The Service Dock At The Palmetto Marina In Hilton Head
Keith, hot and humid

The ICW follows the Beaufort River Past Port Royal and across the Port Royal Sound for a total distance of about 30 miles from Beaufort to Hilton Head. The Sound crossing is about 5 miles and takes an hour just to do that crossing. I took a wrong turn and would have headed out to sea had I not figured that I should be seeing land. Otherwise, it was a great cruise and the weather cleared up along the way. I made previous arrangements to stop at a marina/boatyard here that seemed motivated to assist me with the minor mechanical and maintenance issues that were building up. I arrived yesterday afternoon and their crew got right on the job. Tropical Dreamer now sports two new house batteries and a fully functioning primary bilge pump with working automatic float switch to turn the pump on and off when needed. Today they will install a secondary pump just in case the first one fails while away from repairs. That will give me well over 2000 gallons per hour in case I spring a leak or something while offshore (assuming I ever get offshore, but that's another discussion). The packing gland problem is on the agenda today, as well as new engile oil and all new filters. I rely a lot on the engine and want to keep it in as good working order as I can. There are several other small jobs that I may have them knock off depending on how they do on the bigger stuff. Last night I met a nice German couple who live on their boat with their dog here at the marina when not cruising up and down the east coast of the US. They've never crossed to the Bahamas or gone further than Florida. They took me with them to this incredible park where a group assembled with their dogs for an informal dog park. Then the German couple walked me back to the marina, stopping along the way at a great place to let the dogs swim (evidently one needs to be careful of gaters here). They offered to take me to the grocery store, but I'm pretty stocked for now. Last night I had all the power I could want for TV, computer, lights, even air conditioning. It got so chilly I had to put on flannel pants. Nice change of pace. This morning I awoke and took the dogs for a walk before meeting the mechanic to review the day's jobs. We'll be hanging out here for at least today, and perhaps until Monday, depending on how long it takes to get things done. That's ok. This is a really nice area. Just this dock space would cost $100 a day in this neighborhood but it is free while I'm getting service. There are several restaurants and a general store and a few bars in the marina complex that I might try while I'm here. Being parked in a safe, stable place with electricity is also a good opportunity to get some business-related things done. Then, once I depart here, I'm going to make a sincere push to get through Georgia and begin to bear down on southern Florida.

Honda Generator Called Into Action
It's Raining Again After The Short Break
08/13/2008, Beaufort, SC

I bought this 2000 watt Honda Generator for Singmeaway, the Catalina 25. That boat had no internal charging system and the (car) battieries that ran its electrics needed to be taken home to the charger after a day of sailing. That didn't work for cruising in Mexico so I got a high quality gas generator (there were certainly less expensive generators). It came off of Singmeaway when I brought that boat to Phoenix to sell in early May. I put the generator in a compartment in the Rebounder and drove it all the way across the US (from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico mind you) and stored it on Tropical Dreamer in case it was needed. It's needed already. Since one of the house batteries has died, I can only go a day or so without charging. The Honda Gen has performed well. I'll turn it on again after dinner tonight.

Marina Weather Receiving Station (And Jake)
08/13/2008, Beaufort, SC

I listen to the US National Weather Broadcast every day on this handheld VHF radio. I also use it to ensure my house VHF is working properly.

Jake And Anne Hanging Out On This Rainy Day
08/13/2008, Beaufort, NC


Full Laundry Bag And Jake
08/13/2008, Beaufort, City Marina

They have three washers and three dryers, each costing $1.25. I used all 6 and got all the laundry done nicely. In the meantime I got a very short haircut at the old fashioned clipper and shave cut place.

Beth El Synagogue In Beaufort, SC

I came across this building, which was right next to a very historic site (the original town armory, later made into the Beaufort city museum, note the castle-like roof) in this very southern, southern town. This town is so southern that I see bumper stickers exclaiming the driver's dedication to the confederacy, such as it is these days. Of course, I had the best southern food I've had in weeks yesterday afternoon, so I shouldn't complain too much. Later, while walking to the grocery and talking to my mom on the cell phone I came across the Jewish cemetary. Jews in antebellum (still don't know that that means) Beaufort. The Lipsitz family name is located both on buildings in old town and on the nicest, most recent gravestones. If I grew up here I probably would have gone to Hebrew school with their grandkids or great grankids. Anyway, it's been a wet day today. The sun has reluctantly come out at the very end of the day, but then it went away again before sunset. More details above.

Sunrise In Beaufort, NC
Keith, nice

I've anchored outside the city marina in Beanfort, SC. Took a long walk with the dogs early this morning after the sunrise, then put them inside the boat and went out on my own (note, when I returned hours later, Jake was back on deck, meaning he has found a way to climb back on deck from the cabin by himself). Did laundry at the marina (three washes and three dryers worth), afterwards walked to the Piggley Wiggley and did protein provision (i.e meat purchase). It is only a mile walk each way - the dogs can easily make it with me for a follow-up provision tomorrow. Next to the grocery is an incredible southern bbq joint. It was so good I took some home just to enjoy again for dinner. The combination of southern cooking (i.e african american people) and bbq is, simply, the best food there is. My clothes still smell like pit bbq. I'll go back tomorrow if we get there late enough. I bought a float switch to replace the one that isn't working (I've been running the bilge pump by manual switch 2-4 times per day for about a week - heaven forbid I should have to switch a switch for a few seconds each day - but it has to be fixed even so because if I'm not on the boat for a week for some reason, it will sink without an automatic float switch controlling the electric bilge pump) but after replacing it (the float switch) it still doesn't work. I am most concerned about my mechanical ineptitude as I head towards more dangerous long distance sailing. I called the Beaufort boatyard this morning to get repairs started but didn't get a call back. Called them again this afternoon after a frustrating and failed attempt to get the float switch working and they seemed more cooperative. Maybe tomorrow. The local marina has one 8-d battery similar to the one that went dead on TD over the last few days, but I'm reluctant to try it fearing another mechanical dissapointment. Wet weather is supposed to be coming through tonight and tomorrow. It has been overcast today and showers are coming through sporadically, but nothing too ominous. The hatches are still open letting in precious cool air. Rain spatters are coming through so I have to close them from time to time. The wind turbune is putting out enough power to keep the one working house battery charged enough for internet and perhaps some tv late tonight. It stopped running just now because it charged the system, such as it is, to over 14 volts. I'll probably be here tomorrow at least part of the day, maybe more, depending on whether the boatworks can accomodate me. The bridge that needs to open to get me there doesn't open until 9:00 am., so the morning will be slow going as usual. The day after tomorrow at the latest I expect to be on my way to Georgia.

The Display From The 10 Year Old GPS
Keith, hot but clear
08/11/2008, On The Way To Beaufort, SC

The image didn't come out as well as my view in real life, but perhaps you can see the vintage GPS (did I just say that) view of my course so far from Annapolis Maryland in the northern, Chesapeake to the southern edge of South Carolina. Just Georgia to go before I reach Florida.

Beaufort (S.C)
Keith, warm but not too humid tonight

I arrived here a few hours ago and took a nap in the heat of the day. The sun will set in about an hour and it is cool enough to explore. I'll take the dogs since they haven't been off the boat since this morning dingy ride to the boat ramp. That turned out to be a great stop. Lots of room to run around off leash with nobody around and the most spectacular view of the waterway. Then we cruised for 35 miles until we reached Beaufort, SC (remember the NC version - it was the first place I stopped after leaving Oriental).


Singer Family Adventures
Port: Tucson, Arizona
View Complete Profile »

Powered by SailBlogs