Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Barefoot Landing

07 November 2009 | North Myrtle Beach, NC
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We got up a the crack of dawn this morning and headed back out into the waterway. We wanted to take advantage of rising tides to get through several challenging inlets. They proved to be a non event, which is a good thing. Our only misadventure was hitting something while cruising through "the Rockpile". We were in 14 feet of water, and something made a big clunk under the keel. We don't know if it was a big rock or floating debris. The full moon has caused exceptionally high tides in the past few days. The high tide grabs debris from the shore and pulls it into the water.

We split from Scandia today and stopped at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach. You know you are getting close to Myrtle Beach when there are golf courses all along the waterway. We were docked by about 12:30 and went out to explore. I had not been ashore since we left the dock on Monday. It felt good to get off the boat and walk around. Barefoot Landing is a shopping and restaurant complex right on the waterside. It is the end of the season, so most of the stores were offering 50% of everything. After shopping, we went to T-Bonz for their happy hour specials.

John's Notes:

I see that Cheryl didn't tell the whole story about our adventure at T-Bonz. This is a big, busy place that several cruisers told us about while we were in the Chesapeake. They have an extensive happy hour menu and I was in the mood for some wings and a beer. An order of wings is 12. Kewl. Just the right amount. Cheryl decided that she would also like some wings. With that in mind I suggested that she might get something in addition or her own order of wings. To make a long story short, I got my order of wings, she got her order of wings, along with an order of "Texas Fries" and an order of quesadilla's. I'm thinking how bad could that be. I have my wings, she has hers and we split the order of fries and quesadilla's. Who knew that the wings would be the size turkey legs or that the "fries" were the size baking potatoes. Quesadilla's are quesadilla's. In any event, after stuffing our faces for an hour, including two beers for me and a drink for Cheryl, then stuffing two big doggie bags, enough for two more meals, we waddled back to the boat. Total bill $33.00 plus tip. How the hell can you beat that? We will be enjoying T-Bonz till early next week.

Everything is still going well as far as the trip goes. All systems are go and we are keeping the water on the outside of the boat.

Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI