Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Freezing in Miami

14 January 2010 | Miami Beach, FL
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We are still in Miami, and it has been really cold. We had to dig out all of our extra blankets and warm clothes. I finally had to give in and empty a couple storage areas of chocolate. They were a little too close to the heat ducts, and we had to turn the heater on a couple of nights. We woke up one morning to 36 degrees. What? This is Miami! We were actually boat bound for three days due to cold and high winds. The temperature is now slowly moving back up, we should be in the 70's by this weekend. (Okay, and the picture was of me all bundled up in my "Fargo" hat.)

We did get off the boat yesterday to go to the movies. We decided that we needed to see Avatar on the big screen before we left for the islands. All of our friends have told us what a wonderful movie it is. All I can say is WOW! We were on visual overload for several hours afterwards. I am guessing that you would have to see it several times to catch all of the subtle nuances in the film. The graphics were incredible.

Today we are going to try to do laundry. It is a six block walk, and John's back is bad. Arne has offered to escort Bev and I and keep us safe. If we don't make it today, we might have to wait. The wind is supposed to pick up again starting tomorrow. It is going to blow all weekend. After this front passes through, we might have a four day window starting Monday or Tuesday to cross to Nassau. We want to make sure that the weather holds not only to get us there, but long enough for us to start moving father south.

John's Notes:

If we have any luck at all, we might be able to leave early next week. I just want to go someplace other than the local Publix. I've made more trips to the grocery store since we have been in Miami than I have in the last year.

For the last couple of days I have been suffering from a bad back. First time since early last year. I'm guessing that it's because of all the lifting of jerry cans of water, gas and diesel. We don't want to run the chance of giving up our anchorage by going into a marina to reload, so we have had to do it the hard way. One of our neighbors has a water maker aboard his boat so he hasn't made as many trips as Arne and I have.

I hope every football fan I know got to see the game between the Cardinals and Packers last Sunday. Was that an unbelievable finish or what? Having lived a good part of my life in the Midwest you would think that I was rooting for the Packers but after what happened to the Cardinals in last years Super Bowl, well, you just had to be rooting for them again.

We have done a few boat chores the last couple of days in preparation for our crossing. Whatever we fixed or tightened probably won't be what, if anything, fails anyway. Just have to hope for the best.

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I'm not all that big a fan of sci-fi movies, but I got to tell you that we saw Avatar yesterday and it was fantastic. Not sure how long that movie was in production but it must have taken awhile. When they ran the credits at the end of the movie it took about 10 minutes to scroll through all the people who worked on it. I can see how it was the most expensive movie ever made. No need to buy the video when it is released. This is a movie that you definitely have to see on the big screen. By the time you buy popcorn and a drink you will be out about $35.00 for the whole thing. If the Bahamas is as expensive as Miami, I will be looking for a weather window to come back about a week after we get there. On the other hand, I will be 67 in a few weeks. If I don't spend it now, how much fun am I going to have spending it when I'm 80? What the hell, let her rip.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI