Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Warship #44 where are you?

12 May 2011 | Godfrey Bay, Piankatank River
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

Spent our last couple of days in Sarah Creek doing nothing. It was a beautiful spot for just relaxing. We did meet the Dammmeyers on Selah. They are from Eden Prairie, Minnesota and are working their way around the great loop. They take a few months off each year and work their way a little bit farther, then lay the boat up until the next year. I am not sure that they will be completing their journey. They have become property owners in NC and might stick there.

We left the York River today with quite a bit of excitement. As we left Sarah Creek we motored through a group of coast guard boats loaded with trainees. On one boat they were doing man over board A. We thought that they might use us for boarding training, but we slipped right through. We were making a quick getaway when we noticed the Navy warship bearing down on us. Warship #44 haled us on the radio and asked us to stand down until they could pass. There was a small patrol boat that swept alongside and stayed between us and the mothership until it passed by. I am glad that we weren't flying a pirate flag, they might have blown us out of the water.

We are now anchored in Godfrey Bay on the Piankatank River. Our plan is to head up to Urbanna on the Rappahannock River tomorrow.

John's Notes:

South bound sailing vessel approaching marker 13, this is War Ship 44..............
Oh, yea, sure. Lets chat. She wants to know what our intensions are. I tell her that in about a mile I'm making a hard turn to port. I didn't check it on radar, but I can tell that War Ship 44 is making turns for about 12kts. The Moran tug leading them down the York River is making 15kts and pushing a huge amount of water. We are making about 6kts. I didn't need much in the way of arm twisting to agree to back off until they are well past us. Of course the go fast escort boat is only 50 years off our port as insurance. Like if I had turned to port under full power, there is no way that I could have come within 1000 yards of good old 44. Just another day on the water.

Coming down river this morning we spied all those Coast Guard patrol boats. I though for sure that someone had ratted us out from two years ago when we "liberated" R24 from it's mooring in the Hampton River. Leprechaun is still "at large."

Currently in one of our favorite anchorages. Headed for a totally new place tomorrow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI