Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Walking, walking and walking

26 May 2011 | Washington Dc
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We have had three really busy days. On Tuesday, we spent the morning catching up with Frank and Debby over coffee. Then it was off to the Library of Congress. What a beautiful building. It was all marble with gold filigree on the ceilings and sculptures everywhere. Even the bathrooms were constructed using marble in the walls and floors. We ended up taking the tour without John, but I will let him explain why. We had an almost perfect day with good friends. Our evening, however, gave us a rude awakening. We got back to the boat and hooked up the generator to top off our batteries. The Honda wouldn't start. It always starts. After checking everything we could think of, we gave up and started the engine. Surprise, the alternator isn't charging the batteries either. Time to go to bed and start over in the morning.

We were lucky that the closest Honda dealer was right next to the Capitol Yacht Club. So we called them and the took it to shore in the dinghy. We were told that we would probably get it back in one day. We went back to the boat, changed the alternator belt and let the engine run for a while to charge our batteries. (We got a call much sooner than expected on the Honda, but John gets to explain this one also.) Our next stop was a grocery store stock up. We walked the mile to the Safeway. The store is brand new since our last visit. We got some essentials and more, then stopped to pick up the generator. We had a late lunch, early dinner of steak and corn on the cob.

We went back to the yacht club and met up with Frank and Deb. We all walked down to Fort McNair to attend the "Twilight Tattoo" performed by the Army band "Pershing's Own". It was wonderful. When we were here last time, we attended the Marine Corp parade. I had asked John if the Army had anything similar. I found this listed on the DC army website. I am really glad that I did. It was a wonderful show with singers, a drum and fife band and a precision rifle display. Talk about a recruitment poster.

Today we started at the Bureau of Engraving/Printing, went next door to the Holocaust Museum and ended our day at the National Museum of the American Indian. All were entertaining and educational. It was 88 degrees and our feet are really tired.

John's Notes:

Our Honda generator is absolutely the best investment we have made for the boat. It starts with one pull every time. Well, at least it did till Tuesday night. But, not to worry, an authorized dealer is only a few hundred yards away and Honda has a three year warranty and ours is only 18 months old. Oh, did I mention that the warranty does not cover stupidity? Turns out that the carburetor had water in it. According to the dealer, so did the fuel. Since this is extremely fresh fuel, not sure how that happened. Since I do not have a shop manual and the operators manual does not say, I had the dealer show me how to drain the carburetor in case this problem ever happens again. A great lesson learned. Price of the lesson $125.00, the minimum service charge. By the time I had him change the plug and give me a spare, the total bill was $144.00. But, hey, we got power again.

Regarding Washington, D.C. Just by looking around as we walk the streets, it is obvious that half of the population is visibly carrying guns. I'm guessing that the other half has concealed carry permits. I'm thinking I should start "packing" my flare gun just so I won't look like such a tourist.

Other observations are that 4 out of 10 cars are taxis. Three more are bus's, and the remain 3 belong to some sort of law enforcement agency. Half the cops have automatic weapons.

Still impressed with the Capital Yacht Club. Someone loan me $7500.00 and I'll join. They don't use cash at the club. You have to use a credit card. According to the bartender, I don't have to give them my credit card anymore. I'm now "in the system." Not sure exactly what that means. Glad he is the bartender and not the cops.

Pretty proud of the Army drill team we say last night. Didn't think they had that kind of performance in them. They could give the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team a run for their money. Go ARMY!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI