Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Looking for cool

10 June 2011 | Solomons, MD
John and Cheryl
Cheryl’s Notes:

We sailed up to the Patuxent River Wednesday and motored into Solomons, MD. Our favorite spot to anchor was open, so we set up camp. It was another hot one. We spent the afternoon trying to get cool and only went ashore to get a bag of ice. We did find out that our friends Jackie and George of Sea Otter II are no longer here for the summer. We were told that George had a bad health scare while traveling on the boat, and they have decided that they need to give up cruising and have settled in Vero Beach. We wish them the best of luck, but will miss visiting with them.

Yesterday we had another one of our great adventures. Without Jackie to give us advice, we ventured out on our own to take a bus to a Walmart for provisions. There are two stores in opposite directions. We missed the bus heading south. A bus heading north stopped and we asked the driver if she was going to Walmart. Her response was yes, so we hopped on and paid our $.50 each (love the senior discount). It turns out that she was not the direct route to the various shopping areas in Prince Frederick. Instead, we had a great tour of the rural Maryland area. She finally dropped us off on the main drag in front of the store. After shopping, we caught the direct bus back. This one also stopped on various rural roads, complete with U-turns at dead end streets. We were so lost that I am not even sure where we were. However, we did pass a total of five different post offices, so I know that we were in five different zip code areas.

We have now figured out the bus schedule to head south across the bridge. Today we will try to take a bus to see the new Pirates movie. I can taste the popcorn already. It was really hot here yesterday and is again today. We try to think of things to do in air conditioning. We are going to wait and do our grocery run to Food Lion this weekend when it is cooler.

John’s Notes:

Having the “best” anchorage is always lots of fun. We get to watch everyone else scramble for their little bit of heaven. Some of it, however, might be in shallow water.

Five zip codes, several school districts and two area codes. All for about $50 worth of stuff at Walmart. The joys of cruising.

Had an email from our friends John and Jerry in Atlanta yesterday. Seems like we might not be the only ones that could be making the big switch to a trawler. Thanks John for reminding us of all the amenities that we are currently missing. For now though, we are enjoying the boat we have and really appreciate the upgrades that we have added. There is still something about an upright reefer and air conditioning for Cheryl that hold considerable appeal. She is really suffering with the heat. The thing is, if we back in New Bern, the heat would be the same. We might have air conditioning at the dock but not when we are cruising.

Pirates today. Three hours of uninterrupted air conditioning.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI