Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Calculated risk

03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We woke up at 6 am to rain. We looked at the skies and turned on the VHF for weather. There were some scattered thunderstorms moving along the shore. We were not comfortable where we anchored outside the breakwall. We decided to pull up anchor and take our chances on the water. Our risk paid off. Other than a sudden downpour and a few gusts up to 30 knots, we were okay. We were going to get an early start anyway, because we had a 50 mile day planned. We made it to Presque Isle Bay and anchored near shore. This bay is beautiful and protected on three sides.

We took the dinghy into the marina and took showers and got our laundry done. There is nothing here except a small store and a restaurant. No wifi or television tonight, so we will have to play a few hands of cribbage. Tomorrow we will be moving to Roger City. From there we will have to watch the weather for a window to move up to Detour Village and Sault St. Marie. While we need to take advantage of good weather to make forward progress, we are both thinking that it would be nice to find a good spot to layover and do nothing for a few days.

John's Notes:

Yea, we went to shore and took showers and did laundry. What Cheryl didn't say is that the showers and laundry are for marina guests only. Not for those cheap bastards like us that are anchored a half mile away. We tied up the dingy to one of the 60 or so unused docks and went to the office to see if you could use the coin operated laundry and maybe pay them to use the showers. Office unlocked - Check. No attendant on duty - Check. Cheryl looks behind the counter and sees the passwords posted on a sheet of paper. Takes a pen and paper, writes down the different numbers - Check. For everything else, I guess there is MasterCard. For the next couple of hours we did our best to duck anyone who looked like they might have something to do with the marina. When I was coming out of the shower I ran smack into an old guy who I think worked there. Just said hi like I owned the place, or at least paid for a slip, and kept on going. Meanwhile, Cheryl was hiding out in the laundry room. There will probably be cops waiting for us in Rogers City. They will probably be backed up by the Coast Guard. Some of you may remember the infamous liberation of R24 in Hampton, VA a couple of years ago. We are probably still on the most wanted list from that incident.

After returning to the boat, we did play cribbage. We always play 2 out of 3 games. Unfortunately, tonight we only played 2. I may be down but I'm not out........yet.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI