Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

On our way......

07 July 2009 | Bellhaven, NC
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

Well, we are finally on our way to the Chesapeake. We have had a slow start, but then we don't really have a schedule. We left last Thursday and went to the eastern end of the Neuse River. We ducked into a quiet anchorage down South River. Denise and Paul on Vixen joined us on Friday for the weekend. We had a great time with them. Paul was a lifesaver. He is a diver and went under the boat to remove some barnacles from our prop. We can now steer in a straight line. He also gave John a lesson in carburetor repair on our outboard. We evidently got some water in our gas and it fouled the engine. I keep telling people that you learn something new every day you are a cruiser.

We decided to stay in our quiet anchorage Sunday night after Paul and Denise went back to New Bern. We ended up staying put on Monday because storms were blowing through the area. We finally left this morning and motor sailed up to Bellhaven, NC. It is a quiet little town at the beginning of the Alligator Canal. We saw some gray dolphins along the way, but they never got close enough for a picture. We are now fueled up and our water tanks are topped off for the next leg of your journey. We still haven't decided whether to take the Virginia Cut up to Norfolk, or head up the Dismal Swamp.

John's Notes;

I don't have time right now to tell you how it's going. This last experience we just had here in Bellhaven is going to take some time to explain. I would have more time to explain but we have to get back to the boat so we can anchor before dark. I will tell you that the guy that helped us at the marina is definitely the poster child for "This is your brain on drugs." More to follow.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI