Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

A day of rest

22 July 2009 | Saint Mary's City
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We left St. George's Creek and backtracked up St. Mary's River. We anchored in Horseshoe Bay which is at the base of Saint Mary's College. The town was founded by the English in 1634 and was the site of the original Maryland State House. The historic buildings and a replica of the ship, The Dove, that carried the settlers are on display across the street from the college. We spent Tuesday strolling the grounds and catching up on our blog.

We decided to spend an extra day here. The anchorage is quiet and protected, and we needed a down day to just nap and regenerate. Wes and Deann traveled on this morning and we expect to run into them somewhere along the way to Washington DC. We will start out again tomorrow to head in that direction.

John's Notes:

Cheryl didn't tell you everything about our stay here at St. Mary's College. Last night we enjoyed dining in the student cafeteria. All you can eat, including drinks and dessert for $10.00 per head. Needless to say, we overdid it. Especially on the dessert side. We can keep anything frozen onboard except ice cream. We gave it our best shot before we burst.

This is really a beautiful campus. The kind of place you would want your kids to go to school. Providing you never wanted to retire. Wes and I were guessing that the tuition is about $35K per year. The enrollment is only 1900 and they have one of the top collegiate sailing programs in the country. I counted 42 Vanguard's at their club facility. The top woman collegiate sailor and Olympic hopeful is enrolled here. I think she will be a senior next year.

My sister called this morning and informed us that she won't be coming to D.C. the week of the 2nd. We were really disappointed to hear that. The seminar that she was to attend for FEMA was cancelled just this morning. We wanted to expose her to how we actually live. It would have been great fun. Now she will have to consider a trip to the Bahamas'.

Just a reminder for everyone to check our picture albums. In addition to the usual picture that we post whenever we make an entry, we have posted tons more. We are getting better at providing more so you can experience what we have seen.

Today's picture is called Portuguese Man of War. In actuality, it was the final project for an art student. Not sure how long it has been hanging in the atrium below the dining hall but it is way kewl. Reminded me of a Rube Goldberg contraption. For those of you who are old enough to remember Rube Goldberg.......

Note: Posting of today's picture will be delayed due to the fact that Cheryl forgot to bring the cable for the camera. It's worth the wait to check back to see this thing.


Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI