Bookmark and Share
Sloop Les Miserables
Washington D.C.

Being directionally challenged and finding parking that would not be parallel parking in Washington D.C. (this is just another of many challenges we try to avoid) - we decided to take a commuter bus from Annapolis - (a bargain at $4.50 a person). Barack and Michele had to cancel their lunch meeting with us so we had to make do by looking around at all of the fabulous monuments, soak up some of the history, and dine at a fantastic restaurant about a block or so from the White House. We waited for them to join us for dessert - but they never showed!
We knew when we started out that we would only getting a 'sip' of Washington - and even thought it was but a sip it was certainly a "fine wine"! It is so overwhelming to process so much information - especially when you are traveling with a historian. There wasn't a building, monument, or street that Wiley was at a loss for an anecdote or historical lesson!
We went back the following day to tour the Capitol, take in the Air and Space Museum, and visit the Art Museum. We were both so tired from trying to absorb so much that on the bus ride back to Annapolis Wiley did not have it in him to provide any more history lessons and Merry could not longer nod her head showing that she was, of course, listening! We were delighted that we had time, even though it was short, to go to Washington D.C. Words cannot express what it feels like to stand where Martin Luther King said, "I have a dream..." , or where so many Presidents and First Ladies have been, or knowing the possibilities of all that can be accomplished through our government. At a time when our country is so divided the visit was a reminder of who we are and what we can accomplish when we finally do find common ground. E Pluribus Unum!

10/10/2011 | Craig Erickson
Just thought I would let you know that I had my boat trucked to Pittsburg and am heading down the Ohio to the Gulf. We met in Gasport on the Erie Craigugip
Annapolis, Maryland by SAILBOAT!

We were able to provision our boat on Sunday thanks to a car loan from a lovely lady in the Bert Jabins Dockside Cafe and Store. We took advantage of the opportunity and stopped to pick up a few more supplies at West Marine as well as more wine. Our sailing buddies, Kathy and John, stopped by and John helped us rewire our anchor light. It seems that LED lightbulbs when put in have to be checked because if they are put in upside down they won't work - so you can guess why our bulb was not working!
With a full galley, water tank, fuel tank and eager to set out we finally left the Marina at 11:00 on Monday, September 26th. We stopped to pump out along the way out of Back Creek because someone, who shall remain nameless (once again) left the pump up on the head.

We set out to the Cheasapeake Bay and were excited to try to find out exactly where we were by reading the nuns and can markers. We were especially cautious because we were told of a long shoal and we did not want to go aground. Surprisingly, we did not go aground and found our way up - really a short distance to Ego Alley. Ego Alley is where all of the very expensive boats parade and stay to show off their boats. We couldn't believe all of the million dollar + boats along the way. We managed to find a space along the wall in downtown Annapolis on Ego Alley. We are the boat with the mini-ego! We decided to stay right downtown rather than anchor out or take a mooring because it was suppose to rain...again. However, we ended up having a fabulous sunny day in Annapolis, stopping to buy books, and enjoyed stopping for Rum drinks and a great lunch at Pussers Restaurant that is right on the waterfront . Where we are tied up is a great location, but it is a challenge to sleep, as there are many people up partying along the waterfront and a local homeless man decided to have a shouting conversation with someone (maybe himself) at around 2:30AM.

We learned that the rain would come the next day so we decided to stay another night on the wall. Tuesday we went to the Maryland State Capital and Wiley stood right where George Washington surrendered his commission as commander in chief of the Continental Army along with all of the extraordinary powers that congress had given him: something that had never occurred before that in all history, and seldom since. We went back to the Naval Base to peruse the book stores We also went to the Banneker- Douglas Museum where Merry was persuaded to get into the cutaway of a crate that a young woman held as a slave used to express mail herself North to freedom. Wiley is in "history heaven". We enjoyed French Crepes for lunch and dodged the rain most of the day. We plan on moving the boat to an anchorage tomorrow and will rent a car to go to Washington D.C. We learned that boating up the Potomac to Washington D.C would take quite a bit of time that we would prefer to use moving south. We are both looking forward to seeing the Martin Luther King monument, Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial Wall, etc. etc.

09/28/2011 | jim
In 2004 we had our Pearson 36 truck out of Burt Jabins to Winthrop Harbor
10/02/2011 | Brian Edmondson
I finally got caught up with you guys... just finished reading your boatblog. It's a really nice piece of work. Sorry that not everything has worked out, but it still sounds like such a great trip and experience. And, I have to add that I'm totally jealous.
Mud, Mud, Mud + Rain, Rain, Rain
Merry - Drizzling still...
09/25/2011, Annapolis, Maryland

We had an easy trip to Annapolis and stayed at the lovely Westin Hotel. We borrowed their free bikes and biked to Annapolis to sight see while we waited for the arrival of our boat to the Bert Jabins Marina. The Naval Training Base was impressive - we especially enjoyed the Tomb of John Paul Jones and the Naval Museum. It reminded us how rich in history this area is. We saw George Washington's shoe buckles, comb, dishes, etc. in the musuem and were reminded that this was for a brief period the capital of our government. It is also where George Washington surrendered his commission as general - a shock to many - giving up the absolute power that Congress had given him. The tribute to African American slaves by Alex Hailey the author of Roots is in downtown Annappolis. This is where Kunte Kinte was brought by ship from Africa. We dined in a building, formerly a tavern, built in 1747 where George Washington had been and enjoyed some crab. We barely scratched the surface of all that Annapolis has to offer and are hoping to do more touring when our boat is ready.
We arrived at the marina just as our boat came in on its truck. It was amazing to see our friends boat, Kathy and John Noland's boat Aurora, along with ours on one transport. We began the challenge of preparing the boat once again to continue our trip.
We soon discovered that while our boom, mast, and dinghy did not float on down the Hudson during the Irene Hurricane - it was FILLED with mud! We spent a full day hosing the mud out of the mast and boom. We had the mast tipped at an angle to let the mud roll out and left it over night to hopefully complete the job. Yardsmen said that it would "preserve" the boat. Trying to keep a sense of humor I said I thought that maybe I should put some mud on me since I too needed preserving - they offered to help me out!
Of course, a cloud of rain continues to follow us so it rained, rained, and rained.
We finally were able to have the mast put up and out came more mud. Every line we run through the mast is covered in mud. We have hosed down every line over and over. Every time we raise the main we will need to keep a bucket of water to douse the main sheet line. After reattaching everything, we discovered that our anchor light is not working. Also, in addition to spending time cleaning out mud Merry had the great experience of going up the mast to grab the jib halyard which was on the wrong side of the spreaders at the top of the mast. Lucky Wiley was the "winch man" and he got the great opportunity to winch his wife up the mast. it was no easy feat, and we had to do it twice because the first time Merry was tangled in an extra safety line. The view from up the mast was fantastic - when you looked out over the harbor - however looking down definitely made Merry think about totally trusting Wiley's skills as the "winch man". However, even though he had his opportunity to finish off his wife (and he had reason to - Merry was not a joy to be around as we cleaned off mud and dealt with all of the rain) he returned Merry safely to the boat. We worked all day on preparing the boat. Our friends Kathy and John, those without mud, set off to anchor in Annapolis and think about next steps. Our hope is to provision the boat today, have the anchor light fixed on Monday, and finally begin the next step of the trip. Please PRAY for no more rain for us - we would appreciate it!!

09/27/2011 | Kay Bordenave
Talk about trust...not sure I'd be able to appreciate the view at the top of the mast! We have rain here too, and will hope that your weather improves. Wish there were pics of you two with the mud!
We Run Home & Warrior Dash
Wiley and Merry
09/25/2011, Annapolis, Maryland

Faced with the reality that a hurricane had made this trip we planned impossible, we headed for Lake Cayuga and the marina where our boat would be left for haul out and shipment to Annapolis. The Erie Canal continued its panorama of beauty, the lockmasters continued to be friendly and helpful, but our progress down the canal did not have the same sense of purpose.We wrestled with a couple of blips in our progress in Newark - Merry's allergic reaction to a sting, Wiley throwing his back out, and finding that the entire bow of the boat had filled with muddy water as a result of a loose fitting in the water supply system. We thought for a few scary moments that our boat may actually be sinking as the bow was completely filled with water - however after pumping it out, cleaning, and repairing our fitting we discovered that we still float!!

We tied up along the wall in our next stop along the canal - in Lyons, New York over Labor Day weekend. It is an interesting situation, because you use the bathroom and showers at the fire department, walking past the firemen on duty in the Lyons 911 center each time. Merry had thoughts of the Firemen's Calendar - which unfortunately, were not realized. There were not many stores or restaurants, and most of what the town had to offer was closed. It rained much of the weekend; so we spent a lot of time reading on the boat. At last, the day after labor day it stopped raining, and we got underway. We enjoyed our last passage on the Erie Canal, and then turned onto the Cayuga- Seneca canal. The lock on this canal was a surprise - it was a "lift" rather than a "drop", and a pretty big lift too! We did the lock with a big excursion boat. We have turned into "real pros," when it comes to locks, however, as we got through without difficulty and proceeded onto Lake Cayuga.
Lake Cayuga is one of the Finger lakes in N.Y. It is beautiful - the lakes are set among rolling hills. The north end of this lake is very shallow, with a narrow channel, so we navigated carefully from "buoy to buoy". We went past the marina that we were going to leave the boat at where it would be hauled, because they had candidly told us that there were no stores or restaurants within miles of their location. We went five miles down the lake to another marian that we had called. When we got there, we found their office closed and no one around. The mariana was full of weed (our nemesis), and we ended up running aground and getting weed wrapped around the prop. This is how we spent the night- with our boat sitting in weed + mud. Wiley, the brave hero, went into the muck with mask and fins, cleared the weed off the prop, and "swam" a line across the fairway to a piling. he then used the sheet winch to pull the boat off so that we could get underway and get out of there! It had been Port Austin all over again!!

We then went back up the Lake five miles to Beacon Bay Marina, where our boat was to be hauled out. We found that the boat yard was just as spartan as described, but the folks that own the marina, and Larry who works there, were very friendly. It is an industrial facility - you have to walk around a backhoe and into a huge old building to use the bathrooms and showers. However, there is a little "community" of people who keep their boats there - they call themselves "the Red-Neck Yacht Club."
Rain, rain, and more rain!! It rained for two solid days, so we did a LOT more reading! Finally, the rain let up, and we lucked out! There is a small business at the Marina called "Mahoney Canvas" and Bill and Jim (the owners) dropped what they were doing and went to work fixing the "tornado damage" to our canvas - the bent tube, the rip in the Bimini. They did a great job, and the Bimini is "as good as new". They wanted to charge $54.00 for all this, but Wiley insisted on paying them $75.00. We readied the boat for leaving - taking down everything on deck and storing all below deck so that we could be ready to have the boat hauled while we were away.
Nickolas the son of the owners of Lockview Marina and Transport came (for a fee of $100.00) and took us to the airport in Ithaca, New York. Originally, we had planned on taking the AMTRACK to Chicago from Rochester. However, at 1:30AM we received a "robo-call" informing us that the train was canceled due to flooding in the East. After a long ride (about 12 hours) we made it home - and as Dorothy says, "there is no place like home".
We loved: being with family, watching the kids participate in the Warrior Dash, visiting with friends, seeing the pets, enjoying the garden, watching the Bears play, etc. We had to adjust to being able to run water without concern about how much was in the water tank, having our private bathrooms, being able to easily shop for groceries, run laundry whenever we wanted etc.

My niece Katie tells that she thinks of a "first world problem" - it is a minor complaint compared to what the rest of the world may be enduring. Her example was complaining about having to get up from a comfy bed, surrounded by the things she loves, ... when others do not even have a bed. So... we are thinking that as we look back to some of the craziness of this trip we remind ourselves just how lucky we are to have what we have and be able to continue enjoy the adventures of this trip. Some days it is harder than others to admit to our "first world problem" - but all in all we realize that how fortunate we are to go home and then be able to continue our trip.

Never, never, never give UP!

Today with clarity on the problem of the canals and decsions we needed to make we made some calls to Lockview Marine (our shippers of the mast, etc. Allison our Angel found out that our mast, boom, etc. are "alive and well".
Wiley's smile is beginning to take shape. In addition, we talked to her about shipping our boat to the Hudson River -/ Catskills where the mast, boom, et are at Hop-O-Nose-Marina. We learned that this is not possible because there are too many restrictions about trucking oversized loads, however she suggest that we could ship to Annapolis.

This means we will go down the Cayuga and Seneca Canal to Lake Cayuga. We have contracted to have the boat hauled at a marina on the Cayuga Lake -near the Lockview Marine and they will pick it up and get the mast etc. to us in Annapolis. This will allow us to go home during the time it will take this to happen, see family, and for Merry to honor her commitment to do some consultant work she had agreed to do in September. The good news is we will be further down the coast toward our destination and hopefully miss any of Katia's-the next Hurricane's impact- the bad news is we will give up seeing New York City on the way down. It will have to wait until we take the trip back.

Merry's arm is healing, so just as her decrepit body is coming around,Wiley's old body takes its turn by throwing his back out. He managed to do this by getting on the boat from the wall.

He took a muscle relaxant and while this is not a cure it does provide Merry with some peace and quiet for the period he sleeps it off. Poor guy! ( I am amazed to watch all of the twitching, sighing, and pacing subside even if it is for just a short period of time. ) He is hopeful that his back will be better tomorrow so the dream can live on... with its new challenges.

09/02/2011 | John/Kathy Noland
Everything happens for a reason. We are fortunate enough to meet you guys this week, sharing the same dream of sailing to the Bahamas in a 30 Hunter sailboat, as well as sharing the set-backs of trucking "our babies" across the state. Your other blog viewers are likely admiring your tenacity to make the adventure happen.
On to Newark & Problem Solving Opportunities

We pushed on down the Erie Canal to Newark. This trip began well. The canal was beautiful, and over part of the morning we were going over a section that was actually higher than the land alongside it, so that we were looking down at trees! We went through two more locks (we've done six on the Erie by now). The first lock of the two lowered us another 25 feet and the second 17.

What was challenging was that a HUGE barge and tug went through these to locks with us. The Lockmaster told us to pull all the way forward in the locks, taking the last rope to hold the stern and a boat hook to a ladder on the lock to hold in the bow. Merry handled the boat hook at the bow, while Wiley grasped the rope hanging down the canal wall by the stern. Interestingly, the tug and barge didn't use any lines at all; they just floated down' pretty close to us at the front of the long, as the water went out. It it kind of like being in a big bathtub with the plug being pulled - only we were in the tub with Baby Huey! The tug and barge began drifting toward us, and Wiley yelled to the deck hand on the barge that if they hit us, he would sue them for the full cash value of our boat $300. He laughed and told us not to worry, "the Captain knows what he is doing," which indeed proved to be the case, as our Little Les Miserables and the barge emerged from both canals without so much as a new scratch!
The BAD news - the Lockmaster told us that the 4 locks on the eastern Erie Canal were flooded, damaged and closed. So we are now thinking we may not be able to finish the Canal trip in the time frame needed.

We wanted to spend the night at Newark because they have a six screen movie theater, and Merry wanted to see "The Help". When we got to Newark we found friendly people and free facilities - showers, wi-fi and laundry. What we didn't find was the movie -"The Help". However, "the help" is what we needed!

2 Days before we got to Newark, something (our guess is a wasp) stung Merry in the wrist. By the next day, Merry's hand and lower arm had swelled up (she was looking more and more like Popeye), it turned red, and was painful. She was also dizzy and the red mark and swelling was moving up her arm. She took some antihistamine - but really it did nothing for her except let her sleep. One of the helpful dockmasters, actually helped walk her with Wiley to the doctors (who kindly gave up his lunch hour to see her) . She had an allergic reaction and a possible infection and he prescribed medications. She has been waiting for the "glow of retirement" and the side effects of the medication has her "glowing" her face is bright red - so we now suspect that she may be allergic to the meds.... yikes! However, the swelling and redness is going down. It is all good?!
Meanwhile, we have learned that the eastern Erie Canal will probably be closed for the rest of the year. This is the near universal opinion of experienced local boaters, and is what some of the Lockmasters have been saying privately. We called the State of New York Canal Authority, and what they say is that they simply don't know when the canal will reopen and will not know for at least a week; if the canal is closed, it means that we cannot do the trip we planned.

In addition to half the east coast, that wicked hurricane Irene has wrecked our voyage! To make matters worse, we learned that the marina where we shipped our mast, boom, and dinghy (on the Catskill River just up from the Hudson) is UNDERWATER, and we haven't been able to get through by phone or e-mail. However, unlike many who suffered because of the hurricane; we are alive and (with the exception of the wasp sting) well, and our boat (with the possible exception of her mast, book, roller furling and dinghy) is in good shape. (Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln - how was the play?) If we had not had the disagreement over whether or not to install refrigeration, we would have left weeks earlier than we did, and our boat would have taken a "direct hit" from the hurricane. (Back to the I told you so...) We have much to be thankful for... needless to say, however, instead of being thankful Wiley has fallen into a deep depression over the idea of giving up his "trip of a lifetime". A glass or three of Bordeaux would help his mood, and he has only one bottle that he picked up in Holley. However he refuses to drink alone, and medications prevent his "co-captain" from having any wine. A sorry state of affairs.

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Powered by SailBlogs