LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 5 Day 109 A Social Day

19 May 2012 | Stonehaven Anchorage, Hook Is. AU
Dave/ Rain Rain Go Away...
We came very close to running over to Langford Island to go snorkeling today. Our friends of S/V Infini, Mike and Susan, actually did run over there but never got into the water. We were planning to join them but we first wanted to make some calls using Skype. We have great Internet here, which is refreshing.

When Mike and Sue got to Langford Island, they called us on the radio and we told them that we thought we would be over in about a half hour. I had been watching the Met radar and it looked like there would be a patch of blue sky after the second of numerous rain cells that were heading our way passed us by.

As we waited out the rain, we called our three kids, who are all together in San Francisco for the weekend. They were at a restaurant ordering drinks when we called. They take after their dad on that subject. I’m such a bad influence… We had a great talk and we are so thrilled and fortunate that each of our kids are so close and supportive of each other.

Afterwards, it was still raining so we called John and Cheryl of S/V SeaMist. We had just received an email from them saying that they and S/V Kilkea are now at Goldsmith Island, in the southern Whitsundays. It was great to hear their voices. Like us, they too are fed up with the crummy weather. Plus, to make matters worse, at each of their anchorages, they have had very rolly times. It was not too bad a Goldsmith now but they are not happy campers. I suggested that they and Kilkea should go to Butterfly where the anchorage is very well protected from the swells and the water is very calm. You do get bullets and there is no Internet but you can sleep well throughout the night. They may do that and if they do, we will most likely run over and join them. However, to lose Internet, man, that is tough!!!

Once we were done with our calls, I ran up to the helm and prepared to leave. When I returned to the salon, Mary Margaret was rushing around getting things ready also. However, I suggested that we wait a bit longer since the clouds coming over the mountain peak in front of us looked ominous. In a few minutes it was raining again. These rain cells are just popping up as they pass over Whitsunday Island and make their way here. The Met radar changes just about every minute regarding where the rain cells are.

After waiting two more hours, we called Infini and told them we were just staying put. They had motored over to the sand spit and walked it a bit. They said the water look very murky and without the sun, they really could not see the coral as they motored over it.

When they returned to our anchorage, we invited them over so Sundowners. We had a great time together and it was wonderful catching up after not seeing each other for two years. They too are doing the Sail Indonesia Rally so we look forward to getting together a number of more times.

Techno-Tip Of The Week: Grease Those Tools

When you get ready to start your cruising life, you will be sure to bring with you every tool in your tool box. You will end up using each one sooner or later. However, you will quickly discover that they will start to corrode the minute you have them on your boat. The salt air and water environment is just so conducive to the corrosion of metals that it is next to impossible to prevent.

However, if you start early, you can go a long way in slowing down the corrosion process. What I do is I wipe or spray a little CRC Lanolin onto each tool. This coats the surfaces and protects the metal. Before I use each tool, I may have to use a rag and wipe it off a bit but the tool is in good shape and ready to use.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA