LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Days 33, 34 and 35 Friends And Then On To Sint Maarten

26 February 2017 | Grand Bay, Philipsburg, Sint Maarten
Dave/Sunny
Two days ago, we were getting ready to go snorkeling when a dinghy drove up and the couple inside it introduced themselves. They were Steve and Dee from S/V La Mischief, at Lagoon 421 that was anchored a bit inshore from us. They said they saw our boat when then came into the anchorage and just had to come over to introduce themselves. As it turned out, they are long time blog readers and Steve wanted to thank us for the Techno-Tip manual we have available. It was very nice of them to do this.

We invited them onboard and spent a short time getting introduced. They invited us to come over for sundowners this evening but we had to decline since we had already accepted the invitation made to us for sundowners with Wayne and Ali of Blue Heeler. I suggested that we talk to Blue Heeler to see if we could all get together. Steve is from Australia, as are Wayne and Ali, so his comment was: "No problem, they are Aussies so I am sure it will be alright!" Of course, as it turned out, he was correct.

After Steve and Dee left, Mary Margaret and I donned our snorkeling gear and spent an hour enjoying the reef that is along the shore. Once again, we saw tons of sea fans, lots of healthy coral (soft and hard), sponges of various sizes and shapes and lots of fish. It was a wonderful dive.

Around 1600, armed with a plate of goodies and a nice French Gamay, we headed over to Blue Heeler. We had told Wayne and Ali that we would be leaving the next day for Sint Maarten and they had suggested we get together one last time before we leave. About an hour or so later, Steve and Dee arrived, having just finished a dive off Pelican Island in the Cousteau Marine Reserve.

We ate, drink and chatted away the evening until it was time to say fond farewells. We wanted to get a good night's sleep since our sail the next day would be an overnighter.

Our sail to Sint Maarten started leisurely around 0800. It was just 135 nm passage and I did not want to arrive too early in the morning the next day. The sun was out and the breezes were light and from the ESE. Since our initial heading was to the NE, the first 50 nm we had a deep beam reach and made 6.5 to 7 knots with 12 to 13 knot winds. We had a reef in the mainsail. The reef was in to keep our speed down since we did not want to arrive in Sint Maarten before the sun was up the next morning.

Once we passed Montserrat with its smoking volcano puffing away, we changed course and now were heading to the north. This brought the winds more to the stern of the boat and the apparent wind now dropped to between 6 and 8 knots. Thus, through the night, we just ghosted along making between 4 and 5 knots of speed. At times the winds shifted a bit, forcing us to modify our sail plan and change to a wing and wind configuration.

It was a beautiful night sail with the stars glowing and the lights of the various islands twinkling as we sailed by. We could see Antigua, Barbuda, Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Eustatius, Saba and St. Barts as we coasted by. We entered Grand Bay at the southeastern end of Sint Maarten around 1000 and tried calling Booby's Marina using our VHF radio. It never ceases to amaze me how many times we call a marina using the VFH only to have no one answer. After about 6 hails during a 30-minute period we decided to drop anchor and I would take the dinghy in to see about our slip.

Grand Bay is a large, shallow bay that sits in front of Philipsburg. It is a beautiful anchorage with sugar white beaches, colorful Dutch styled restaurants, beach bars, and hotels lining the shore. Scenic hills rise behind the beaches making it a delightful place to anchor.

Soon I had the dinghy down and motored into the marina. Before I had the dinghy tied to the dock, the dock master came out to greet me. He said he never heard our hails. We had hailed using two different VHF radios so I knew the problem was not on our side but just let the issue pass. He did confirm that he had a slip for us but that we would have to move to a more permanent slip on Sunday. I shared with him that I felt it would be better for us to just spend the night anchored in the bay and come in tomorrow to our permanent slip. He was fine with this suggestion.

Upon return to Leu Cat, Mary Margaret and I spent the day resting from our overnight sail. It usually takes us two to three nights to adjust our sleep patterns when we do long passages. Short passages, like the one we just finished, are harder on us as we only get a few hours of sleep. Thus, with a margarita in hand, I spent the day in the hammock, dozing, reading and listening to music. Mary Margaret did the same but in her favorite spot, the couch in the salon. Life is good...
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA