LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Day 61 Paradise in St Croix

28 March 2017 | Rick and Bret's House, St. Croix, USVI
Dave
Through last night, this morning and into the afternoon the winds remained light so we either just motored or motored sailed with the headsail up. The true wind as just 3 to 4 knots but since it was off our port bow, the apparent wind was 5 to 7 knots. It takes 6 knots of apparent wind to kept our sail full so at times we were able to fly the headsail.

The beauty of the situation was that we were not in any hurry since we had been asked by Steve, the Green Cay Marina manager in St. Croix, not to arrive before 1400. Thus, with one engine on at low RPMs, we ghosted across the 95 nm of ocean that lay between Sint Maarten and St. Croix.

During the night the stars were out in full glory as it was a moonless night. The Southern Cross floated across the southern sky, parked in the Milky Way. We have seen the Southern Cross many, many times before; tonight, however, was one of the best viewings we have had because the sky was so clear and the night so black.

Along the way we passed numerous cruise ships making passage for St Kitts. First, they would appear on the horizon as just a glow of soft light; but as we approached each one would get brighter and brighter and as we passed within a mile of each other, they would be lit up like a Christmas tree. We passed 5 or 6 of these behemoths, each being over a 1000 feet long.

When dawn broke, the eastern point of St. Croix appeared in the distance and its northern shore spread out before us as we sailed through the morning and into the early afternoon. It is actually a fairly long island, measuring over 19 nm from east to west and about 6 nm from north to south.

We snaked our way around reefs that fringe the island and made our way into Green Cay Marina. We were met by Steve as he instructed us to tie up at his fuel dock. The dock where we will be tied up to during our stay was still being used by another boat. That boat had delayed its departure until tomorrow.

Once tied up I made my way to the marina office to clear into the US and was greeted by our blog friend, Rick, just as he arrived in his pickup truck. We both entered the marina office and while there, Steve called Customs and Immigration and, over the phone, the formalities were taken care of. It was the easiest clearance I have ever experienced. We are now good to go throughout the US Virgin Islands!

Once done with clearance, Rick and I walked to Leu Cat and Rick was introduced to Mary Margaret. It was like old home week. We both took to Rick like a long-lost friend. He was so friendly and warm.

He had brought with him our mail that we had forwarded to hold for us. Within the mail he brought were my new crocks. Once those were slipped on we headed down the dock so Rick could give us a tour of his 38-foot power cat. He once had a Lagoon 500 but he and his partner, Bret, have since opted for engines instead of sail. They love it and it is a thing of beauty.

We next piled into Rick's pickup truck and headed east to where he and Bret live. When we arrived, we were at a beautiful large ranch house that overlooks the north shore of the island, including Buck Island. Buck Island is a National Monument and is famous for its underway sea life.

We were greeted by Brent and instantly were made to feel at home. Their house is large, open and spectacular with views of the ocean starring at us from every room. After a tour of their house we were next shown the guest cottage where we will be staying. It is a charming and very comfortable house with its own view of the ocean and the well landscaped grounds that are dotted with mahogany trees. It is paradise found!

Rick and Bret then took us to their favorite local eatery for dinner: Blue Water Terrace. Once again we had a wonderful view of the north of the island. The menu was amazing as were the various dishes we ordered. I could not resist the huge rib eye steak, smothered with sautéed mushrooms, onions and then covered with gorgonzola cheese. The beef was so large that I don't think I was able to eat half of it. However, I now know what is waiting for me for breakfast!

Mary Margaret had ordered a platter of fried calamari for the table which was tender, sweet and delicious. By the time we worked our way through with our main course, we were just too full for dessert but decided to punish ourselves by sharing a carrot cake that kept with the local tradition of being eye popping large but oh so good.

By the time we were done, we rolled away from the table and gave good bye hugs and waves to the very warm staff and owners.

Tomorrow, after moving our boat to its dock, Rick will be giving us a tour of the island. He and Bret are also making reservations for dinner in town at their favorite restaurant. It specialized in Thai cuisine. I can tell our diet days are over for a while...
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA