LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Day 79 Exploring St. Croix

16 April 2017 | Christiansted, St. Croix, USVI
Dave/Rainy

This morning, Steve and I went into Christiansted and rented a car for the next two days. The day was Easter Sunday and we wanted to explore St Croix. Once the car was secured, we returned to Leu Cat to pick up the girls and off we went. The weather forecast was not very promising since flash flood warnings had been issued for today covering the three islands which make up the USVI. A check of the weather radar showed that the morning should be fine but the afternoon looked dubious. So warned, we decided to make the most of the morning and take our chances with the afternoon.

Our first stop was at Salt River Bay. This is to the west of Christiansted and it is where Columbus, during his second voyage in 1493, made landfall on this island. It is the only place in the US that Columbus made landfall. It was not a good landing as one of his crew that rowed in to the bay looking for fresh water was killed by the native Carib Indians. Being Easter, the National Park Service’s Visitors Center was closed but we had grand views from its hill top overlooking the bay and the fringing reefs protecting it. We also drove down to the actual site were Columbus’s longboat landed but it was surrounded with locals who had pitched tents for the weekend.

Next we drove west and took Portia and Steve on a drive through the rain forest. The western side of the island gets much more rain than the drier eastern side and a dense jungle was been established with long vines hanging down, some blocking the way of the road. One had to either swerve to avoid them or drive through them.

By the time we reached Frederiksted, on the far western part of the island, it was lunch time. Frederiksted is a sleepy town that still has not fully recovered from the devastating effects of Hurricane Hugo, a category 5 hurricane that destroyed much of the island in 1989. However, we were lucky as Mary Margaret spied a wonderful restaurant called Cibone that was tucked away in an alcove. They were serving an Easter brunch which we thoroughly enjoyed.

From there we then turned south and then east as we followed the southern shore of the island. This part of the island is sparsely populated because there are no inlets through the fringing reefs. This fact has kept ships and boats from entering the lagoons that have formed between the reefs and shore which has resulted on little development over the centuries. The land is mostly unused pastureland.

As we approached East Point, the eastern most part of the United States, we were greeted with black clouds and rain. There was enough of a break to allow us to step out of the car and run over to the ledge that looks down to the ocean as it breaks on the rocks far below.

Safely back inside the car we made our way toward the huge radio telescope that is one of 16 such beasts that make up the large radio telescope array that peers deep into space. By now it was pouring rain: buckets and buckets of rain. This put an end to our tour of the island so we called Rick and Brett to see if we could come over to their place a bit early. We had made arraignments to stop by for drinks and then take them out to dinner. However, we were a couple of hours early. They were gracious enough to encourage us to come over and we quickly took them up on their offer.

As we sipped our way through a couple of bottles of red wine, we chatted the afternoon away. During one of the breaks in the deluge, Rick took Portia, Steve and I up to the old windmill that sits high on a hill, overlooking their estate. Mary Margaret and Brett stayed as they enjoy each other’s company so much and wanted to keep Rick and Brett’s dog and cat company.

Around 1800 we all went over to the Blue Water Terrace Café for dinner. Once again the portions were huge and the food was fantastic. The rain continued to pour during the three hours we were there and our thoughts drifted to how filled with rainwater our dinghy would be. Despite such thoughts, we had the best time with our friends Rick and Brett. By the time, it was time to go, Portia and Steve had fallen in love with Rick and Brett as much as Mary Margaret and me. It was hard to say good bye but we have hopes that Rick and Brett will come visit us someday in while we are in the Med.

By the time we arrived at our dinghy the rain had stopped. We checked the rainwater level in the dinghy and discovered it was filled with over four inches of water. This forced us to make two trips to bring everybody and all of the containers of food leftover from our dinner back to the boat.

Once back on Leu Cat we discovered how tired we were and bed never felt so good! What a great day!


Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA