LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Day 143 Looking At Options

22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
Dave/ Sunny With Passing Showers
With the sad realization that we will not be sailing across the North Atlantic this year and that the end of our cruising days is staring us in the face, we dust off our list of options of what to do next. Mary Margaret and I have talked about this the last few years as we watched our cruising friends, one after another, pack it in and call what is known in the cruiser world as "burying the hook".

At the top of our list of options is selling Leu Cat, moving back to the States and then buying an RV so we can tour North America. Our wanderlust is still so strong and this option seems to beckon our souls. Our thoughts are we could do this for a few years, delaying the day we need to rent or buy a house and return to being "normal" once again.

A second option is to rent or buy a house somewhere in the US and then spend a fair amount of time traveling, especially in Europe, since we were not able to sail there and explore from the comfort of Leu Cat.

A third option is just the more typical option: simply renting or buying a house and getting involved in the community we chose to live in. The problem with this option is making the decision as to where to settle down and establish roots. Right now, we are kicking around the thought of moving back to the Ann Arbor, Michigan area, where we met and both went to University. There are many nice features to that option as Ann Arbor is a great college town with lots of neat things to do such as sporting events (great football, basketball, girls softball, etc.), wonderful theater with lots of plays and musicals, great concerts, beautiful parks and woodlands, etc., etc. etc. The problem is the winter. Michigan can get very cold and snowy and we remember so well that for 6 weeks, from mid-January through February, you seldom see the sun. It can be a bit depressing. However, one potential solution is that we would take that time to travel out west to visit our three kids and their families in Arizona and California. As I write this, it sounds better and better.

The first decision we are facing is when to sell the boat. As it turns out, a couple of days ago another Lagoon 440, S/V Shift, docked right next to us. I briefly talked with Andros and his wife. They just put their boat up for sale last week and they received 4 offers almost immediately. Wow! The offer they accepted was for $350,000 which was $15,000 over their asking price. How lucky is that!

Their broker is from BVI but came over to Sint Maarten to make sure the inspection of the hull went well today. After they returned to the marina from that short haul-out and inspection, Andros brought his broker over to meet us. I had asked Andros if he would do that so we could get a better feeling for the market.

It seems there is a very healthy demand for Lagoon 440s and people are discovering that it has a number of advantages over the newer Lagoon 450. It was an encouraging meeting and we will be pursuing more discussions with this broker over the next couple of weeks.

Plus, a blog reader has also left us a comment suggesting the he and his wife may be interested in Leu Cat as they are getting ready to follow their dream of sailing the seven seas. We shall see.

Thus, over the next several weeks we will be pursuing different leads and options, trying to figure out what to do next and when to do it. Pretty exciting times!
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA