LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 5 Days 101 and 102 Butterfly Bay, Hook Island, Whitsundays! 20S 04.55'/148E 55.46'

11 May 2012 | Anchored At Butterfly Bay, Hook Is., AU
Dave/Weather, Squrrelly
We took yesterday off and since the weather was rather unsettled, we just relaxed. Mary Margaret did her favorite pastime (reading), and since I can't keep still, I finished sewing the hem on our shade tarp. Hooray! It is done.

This morning, while I was opening up the sail cover, I heard the fellow on the nearest boat yell my name. It was a blue hulled monohull that I did not recognize. I waved back and continued my work since we were anxious to head out. After we started the engines and turned on the chartplotter, their boat came up on our AIS. They had since weighed anchor and were heading in the general direction of the mainland. I looked up their boat on the AIS and discovered it was Michael and Susan of S/V Infini. We last saw them in the Outer Tuomotos (French Polynesia) almost two years ago. At that time, they had just come northwest from Easter Island. They were about to head over to Hawaii. Talk about an unconventional route to get here!

As we were raising the mainsail, prior to weighing anchor, Susan hailed us on the VHF. They had just arrived yesterday from a direct sail from Bundaberg. They had sailed from New Zealand to Bundaberg. Susan said they were heading over the Airlie to fill their fuel tank before continuing north. She said that they were heading to Darwin to participate in the Sail Indonesia Rally.

I said that we were not planning to head north until around June 1 and then spend about a month dinging up the coast until we get to Lizard Island. From there we would be heading directly to Darwin. I told her there really isn't much to do in Darwin as they waited for the rally to start. Plus, they were missing some of the best diving and snorkeling areas in Australia by skipping the Whitsundays. I know they are avid divers and to my statement she said maybe they would reconsider and meet us out here. We will have to wait and see.

We weighed anchor at 0700 and sailed out of the anchorage. The winds were 15 to 20 knot from the SE (where else???) but this time, we were heading in a more NNW direction and had a great broad reach. Leu Cat was frisky and rearing to go after spending so many days just running with the wind. She made an average of between 8 and 9 knots and once caught a puff and zoomed up to 14 knots. The seas were mild and behind us so it was just an absolutely great sail. The best one we have had in Australia.

We were heading to the north side of Hook Island which was about 36 nm from our anchorage at Shaw Island. We pulled into Butterfly Bay at 1130, making the 36 nm in just 4.5 hours.

We can see why the Whitsundays are the best sailing destination in Australia. In sailing through and around the islands here you would go mostly east and west and north and south. Thus, the south easterlies would make for great sailing angles no matter where you went. Plus, the islands are very scenic with rugged, wood covered hills, a number of great looking beaches and numerous nooks and coves.

Last night our anchor light stopped working so I spent this afternoon jerry rigging our old anchor light so that we could use that while we wait to find a place with an electrician to fix the one that stopped working. It is only a year old so I don't I think the wiring at the top of the mast is bad. I have voltage leading to the mast.

The weather was squirrely today so we did not want to go snorkel in such unsettled weather. We may have to wait a number of days to go diving since the weather is suppose to deteriorate through early next week as the ridge we have been enjoying falls apart and gets replaced with a trough. Isn't that the way it goes we finally arrive, all hot and lathered to go diving and we get to wait. Oh well, we have the time and it is such a beautiful anchorage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA