LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 5 Day 131 A Work Day

11 June 2012 | Marlin Marina, Cairns, AU
Dave/Sunny
Today it was time to start in earnest attacking the various small boat projects that I have on my list. So far this year we have been fortunate as our boat list has been slow in growing and what is on the list is fairly minor. Two days ago I spent the better part of the day washing and scrubbing the decks. Of all the things that I am responsible for, that is my least favorite. This is because it really does not take much time after being washed before the decks start getting dirty again. Sigh!

The “big” dirty job that highlighted today was taking the dinghy down, removing its floor boards, and scrubbing out the oil and dirt that has accumulated over the last few months. There was a lot of gunky stuff adhering to the floor because the hose fitting to our fuel tank was not securely fitted at one time and fuel had slowly seeped out and spilled onto the floor. The gasoline had evaporated but the oil additive stayed and accumulated a lot of dirt. It was a messy, yucky, thankless job but now it is done and that it one more thing scratched off the boat project list.

After working the better part of the day on boat projects, I decided to put up the shade tarp and hang up the hammock. Ahhhh, now that is what the cruising life is all about. As I gently swung in the hammock, I watched the cute young ladies with their macho men slowly walking up and down the outer quay that is facing our boat. Today was another sunny, beautiful day and that made the viewing that much more enjoyable.

The highlight of our day was, once again, dinner. This time we were joined with the folks from Sea Mist, Kilkea, and Imagine. The eight of us had a grand old time as we returned to the restaurant Sauces. After looking at the menus and prices at a number of other places, we have determined that this is the best place for us cruisers to eat and drink. They have a 1.5 liter jug of cocktails for just $17.50! Once again, Marian brought a couple for 50% off of food and drinks coupons and the 8 of us ended up paying only $141 AU for the meal and drinks. What a deal!!!

During dinner Steward and Dale of Imagine told us their story about attending the Land Diving ceremony on Pentecost Island in Vanuatu. Each April the tribe on the island builds a 30 meter high tower out of branches and vines and in May, they perform the Naghol ceremony. This is where they tie vines to their ankles and dive off to smack into the ground in hopes that the vines will break their fall right as they hit the earth. It is a ceremony that began generations ago as a semi-religious ceremony to have the gods bless their yam crops. It is also the origin of the current craze called bungee jumping. However, unlike bungee jumping, the purpose of Land Diving is to actually smack the earth at the base of the tower with your chest or head.

Needless to say, death or permanent injury to the diver is not uncommon. In fact, one of the divers did suffer a significant injury when Steward and Dale were there. They also shared with us that the ceremony is now rather commercialized as the fellow who is in charge of the exhibition will wait until a cruise boat comes in and charges the cruise line company $90,000 for the exhibition. Thus, Steward and Dale watched the ceremony with the small, select group of 2,000+ cruise ship passengers…

All I can say is that I hope some of the money goes to poor divers who get hurt each year.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA