LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 5 Day 134 A Great Diving Experience

15 June 2012 | Marlin Marina, Cairns, AU
Dave/Mostly Sunny
Ever since we arrived in Australia last October, we have been drooling about the great diving along the reefs of the Great Barrier Reef. Our two daughters, Heather and Christina, went diving here in Cairns about 13 years ago and just oozed excitement every time they talked about the great dives they had along the Great Barrier Reef.

Mary Margaret and I, up until today, have been a bit disappointed in our snorkeling experiences at Lady Musgrave Island and along the reefs within the Whitsundays Island group. While the reefs were beautiful and were teaming with fish, the visibility of the water would be called murky at best. Not being able to see things until you are right on top of them diminishing the experience significantly.

Well, let me tell you, that all changed today! At Mary Margaret’s suggestion, I had booked a day long trip to the outer reefs aboard the Reef Experience for today. It was it bit more expensive than most of the other reef boats but this one took you out to the outer reefs of Hastings reef and then a reef near Michaelmas Cay. Past this last reef is just the open Coral Sea.

One the way out, the dive master told us that the water clarity has been improving all week and on the way back to Cairns, he said that today was the best he has seen it for this season. We had about 25 to 30 meters of visibility, which is great. During the summer months here, the visibility grows to 50 plus meters while during the winter, it shrinks to about 10 to 15 meters. Thus, today was exceptional for the winter months.

Besides going much further out than the other boats, the other reasons you paid a bit more for this trip was that they served you a nice breakfast, a great lunch and then wine and cheese on the way back. They also give you a free 20 minute SCUBA dive at Hastings Reef and then other another 45 minute dive at Michaelmas Reef for only $55. Plus, for these dives, you do not have to be PADI certified.

Now I first started SCUBA diving with my dad back in 1962 and continued to SCUBA until 1968, when I went off to college. After college, I could no longer SCUBA divie because that is when they started requiring certifications to dive. We were just married back then and we had no money to pay for certification so I stopped SCUBA diving. Since we started cruising, I opted for our Hookah system, which does not require any certification.

Anyway, when we reached Hasting Reef Mary Margaret and I snorkeled for about and 1 ½ hours while I waited my turn for the first SCUBA dive. The reef was awesome and I will post many, many pictures to show you what we saw. Instead of writing about it, I will let the pictures tell the story.

At Michaelmas Reef, Mary Margaret snorkeled and saw a wide variety of fish and corals but she did not have the underwater camera. Instead, I had it while I went SCUBA diving. During my dive we got up front and personal with a greenback turtle, swam over a shark resting on the bottom and dove down a coral wall that was studded with all kinds of colors and fish. It was great!

Today made up for all of the other times we have dived on the Australian reefs in the murky water. It was just a stupendous experience.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA