LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 7 Day 240 Cosmoledo Island

31 August 2014 | Cosmoledo Island, Seychelles
Dave/Sunny With Strong Winds
I thought I understood swells and how they are generated and travel. However, I must admit, I am now a bit confused. During our two day passage here we were bashed for about 24 hours by big, short period swells that made the ride most uncomfortable. They were short period waves of about 6 seconds with heights that went up 4 + meters. Given the short periods, this tells me that they were generated locally which make sense since they did not appear until the wind piped up to 25+ knots. They were large, mean and ugly as they would break with surf rolling down from their peaks into their troughs. One wave caught Leu Cat on it port stern quarter right as it was breaking and threw our bow 60 degrees to the south. As it turns out, Steve was just coming out of the salon into the stern cockpit when the wave hit us and was dosed when a lot of water poured into the cockpit. A little bit even ran into the salon.

Shortly after I posted yesterday's blog the wind dropped to about 18 to 20 knots and the seas mellowed a bit so that the swells were just 2 to 3 meters. While they still broke, the surf was tame compared to before. After an hour the winds returned to 25 + knots but the seas stayed the same and kept that way until this morning when we sailed behind the Cosmoledo Atoll and the protection it offered. Why the seas did not rebuild is a mystery to me.

Steve thinks it is because there is a sea ridge about 150 nm to the east of us which supports a few islands. That may be the likely reason but if the swells were wind generated locally then I am not sure that ridge would have much to do with it. I guess it will just remain a mystery to me�...

We are now anchored on the leeward side of Cosmoledo Island and our position is 9° 42.362'S: 47° 30.342'E. We are in 39 feet of water and anchored in what we believe is sand. The winds are still blowing 20 + knots and will stay that way until tomorrow however the seas are relatively flat which makes this a very nice anchorage. At times, some swells make their way around the atoll but for the most part, the seas are flat.

We have decided to stay here for the next few days. The winds are supposed to calm down at bit but they will be coming from the south. That is the wrong direction for us as they would blow us too far north so we will wait until the winds turn more southeasterly, which they are predicted to do in three days. We will be inspecting the GRIB files each day to see if that predictions holds and our last segment of our run to Madagascar will be based on the better winds. It is just a two to three day passage depending how far to the northwest the winds push you. We hope to get into the wind shadow at the NE tip of Madagascar makes, which is about 120 or so nm from our position. When we get into that, we will drop the sails, and turn south to make a beeline for Nosy Be.

Meanwhile, we will enjoy this anchorage. Steve and I will make some sail repairs (the second reef line needs to be replaced) and Mary Margaret will be cooking up a storm for our next passage. She already has made a large pot of beef stew and will be making her killer lasagna. Yum!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA