LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 7 Days 260 and 261 Return To Tana

20 September 2014 | Tana, Madagascar
Dave/Sunny And Beautiful
These last two day have been very hectic so I have struggled to find the time to put this blog together. Yesterday morning Portia, Steve and I went on a very vigorous trek into the Ranomafana National Park. We were in hunt of the golden brown bamboo lemur and the sporting lemur. Our park guide was Lory and he and his runner were excellent. In 1986 Lory was one of the guides that discovered the golden brown bamboo lemur as a new species of lemur.

The area of the park we were trekking in was along the gorge that the Namorona River had cut through the mountains. The sides of the gorge were very steep and we had to use the thick trunks of the bamboo and saplings to help pull ourselves up the slopes and to hold on to them to let ourselves down the slopes. It was very tough going at times. As I was puffing, trying to catch my breath, I realized how smart Mary Margaret was to sit this trek out. She had decided to stay at the lodge and make today a rest day. I was envious of her decision.

We were thankful that Lory employed a runner to go ahead and find where the lemurs were. They migrate a lot and unless you know where they have stopped to spend the night and then to eat in the morning, you would have to run all around this gorge trying to find them. The runner used his cell phone to call Lory and tell him where he had spotted a group of lemurs.


While we did see a number of lemurs and stopped to watch them socialize, eat and hop from tree to tree, they all stayed high in the canopy of the rain forest and you really needed special equipment to see them well. I had only brought my small camera with me on this trip and I should have brought our Nikon with the good, high powered zoom lens. The pictures I took cannot be blown up enough to really be what I would consider any good. I will post one or two so you can see what I mean.

When we returned to the lodge for lunch the four of us got together to strategize a bit. The lodge we were at was very poor and the food was just awful. The thought of spending another night here was just out of the question. Thus, we all decided to start our return trip to Tana a day early and leave right after lunch. Plus, we decided to have lunch at a different lodge, whose restaurant looked to be of better quality.

The lunch we did have was pretty good and soon we were packed back up in the van and heading back to the town of Ambositra. We had our tour guide, No No, make the arraignments for us so that we would stay here a day early and then spend two nights in Tana, instead of one. With much effort on his part, we got Kensington Tours to make the changes for us at no additional cost.

This morning, after another bad night of sleep, we left our hotel and stopped at a woodcutting workshop. Ambositra is the home of the Zafimaniry tribe, a subgroup of the Betsileo tribe, and are renowned for their wonderful wood cuttings. It was fascinating to see how they made the detailed inlaid wood carvings that end up looking like a painted scene. It is all done by hand or with using handmade, foot powered equipment.

We next drove 2 hours back to the town of Antsirabe, where we had lunch and explored the fair that was being held there. There were booths from each of the 22 districts that make up Madagascar with each district showcasing the unique crafts of their respective districts. We ended up buying a few things that we liked.

After lunch we started our serious drive back to the capital city of Tana. It was a 4.5 hour drive. While we were coming from the west and the airport is to the NW of the city, we had to drive into the center of the city to get our connecting road that took us to our hotel which in out toward the airport. The drive through the city was difficult as it was Saturday and everyone was out enjoying the weekend and going to the various stalls that line all of the roads in the city. It was a zoo with narrow roads, people, zebu, ox carts, hand carts, buses and cars all vying for the rights of the road.

It was well past dusk by the time we got to our hotel and we were bushed, not only from the long day but from the accumulated travels, treks and sightseeing that we have been doing during this adventure.

Tomorrow will be our last day of touring before Portia and Steve fly off to explore Turkey for a month and we fly back to Nosy Be and good old Leu Cat. We miss Leu Cat terribly and are looking forward to some rest and relaxation once we get back. Tomorrow we will explore a few of the sights that Tana has to offer including the King’s Palace and the Museum, which is the former prime minister’s house.


Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA