LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 8 Day 11 Enjoying The Fruit Of The Vine

05 July 2015 | False Bay Yacht Club, Simon's Town, South Africa
Dave/Sunny
This morning we drove over to the Constantia area of Cape Town. This is home to the Groot Wine Farm, renown not only as the oldest wine producer in South Africa but also the 2015 winner of the "Best in the World" from the Chardonnay-du-Monde competition for its 2013 Chardonnay. With a pedigree like that, how could we go wrong?

We met our Cape Town friend's, Johan and Christie, at the estate and took a self-guided tour of the manor house which was built over 300 years ago by the estate's founder Simon van der Stel. I wish I could post pictures of the beautiful rooms that were filled with period furniture but they did not allow photographs, even without flash. Darn!

Next we walked the grounds a bit and took in the inspiring scenery. Nestled along the backside of Table Mountain we could look in one direction and view the vineyards running up of the flank of the mountain or turn and look toward False Bay and see the ocean in the distance. The views were stunning.

We were now eager to sample some wine so Christie led us into the wine tasting room and was kind enough to pay for the tasting. She opted to have one of the tastings paired with specially made chocolates which we all shared. I never before had heard of pairing chocolate with white wines. As it turns out, the chocolates that we tasted with the white wines were white chocolate and melded very nicely with the Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay. Go figure. Now, I am sure all of you wine aficionados are on top of the concept of white chocolate with white wines, but it was a new experience for us and it was wonderful. Mary Margaret, who really does not enjoy white wine, fell in love with the pairings and ooooh'd and aaaah'd with each sip and nibble she took.

Our host was very generous with our pourings and even added a wine that was not on our list. It was the original type of wine that the estate was founded on back in the late 1600's: Muscat. It was sweet and smooth as satin. Once again Mary Margaret was moaning and groaning with delight. She was really enjoying the various wines we tasted and having a great time. I must admit, I too emitted a few sounds of delight with each glass I sampled.

We had not come prepared to purchase wines but to just note their respective qualities and learn a bit about South African wines. Plus, our intent was to be with our friends and enjoy spending the day with them. While we certainly did that, we also left armed with bottles of the different vintages we enjoyed the most. We rationalized our purchases as being special wines to be served with special people who come and visit us on Leu Cat. Yah, that's the ticket!

Next, we followed Johan and Christie down the road a bit and stopped at The Brasserie. This was a wonderful restaurant where we had a delicious Sunday dinner. Christie and Johan had the Karoo lamb chops while Mary Margaret and I had their roast dinner. I opted for the beef roast while Mary Margaret opted for the pork roast. We agreed to share so we could sample each other's roast. Johan paired our meals with a wonder Shiraz and the time just seemed to float by.

Too soon it was getting late and was time to say goodbye and return to Leu Cat. We agreed to get together again soon and next time to spend the night at Johan and Christie's house and enjoy a Braai there. A Braai is a South African BBQ where the emphasis is on having a great time together enjoying the company, wonderful drinks, fine food and various meats grilled to perfection. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA