LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 8 Day 36 Safari Day 9

30 July 2015 | Chobe Elephant Camp, Near Kasane, Botswana
Dave/Sunny
This morning we went out for an early morning and a later afternoon safari. Our German friends, Tito, and his father, Luther, were leaving late this morning and we were anxious to share one last safari with them. They are moving on to Savuti where we had come from before arriving here.

The area was much quieter this morning with most of the game out on the islands in the middle of the river valley or still up in the bush. They usually come down to the river to drink and cross to the islands for safety in the mid to late afternoon. Since cats including the lions and leopards do not like to swim in water, the islands are safe refuges for the other animals. In fact, some just stay on the islands during the dry season to fatten up. When the rains come in the summer months, they return to the uplands and then migrate.

We mostly watched birds but did see many impalas, waterbucks, kudus, giraffes, and a few warthogs.

After lunch we just rested as we listened to the album “Out of Africa” on our laptop. It was so serene and looking out over the grasslands of the river valley, with its herds of various animals was so special.

After high tea just Mary Margaret and I went out on our late afternoon safari in search of lions. Face, our tracker/driver for today had asked the other trackers where they had seen lions earlier in the day. They had only been seen on the far side of the park, near the gate located next to the town of Kasane. It was 50 km away so we raced down the road to get there before the park closed.

Once inside the park we headed down one of the park’s dirt roads and after about 15 minutes spotted lion tracks crossing the road. As the day cools down, they start to hunt and the tracks showed they were on the prowl.

Due to Mary Margaret’s sharp eyes we spotted a pair of young males sniffing bushes and walking toward a ravine. We watched them from a side road and eventually parked the vehicle on a road that ran across the ravine where it flattened out before ending at the river. In a few minutes we watched and listened as a tribe of baboons who had spotted the lions coming toward them and it startled us. They shouted their warning call. The tribe moved in force toward the lions. Face explained to us that a tribe of baboons will attack lions in mass since their incisors are actually larger than the lion’s incisors. Thus, while lions will feed on an individual baboon, they will respect the gathering of a large tribe.

He also explained to us that baboons will move with impalas, zebras and Cape Buffalo and will be welcomed by them since the baboons act as a warning mechanism for the herds and add additional protection for them.

The lions slowly walked toward us and passed in front of our vehicle while the baboons where shouting and hooting at them from the trees. The lions were a bit disgusted with the baboons since their warning calls had scared all of the food away.

I got much of this on video and will try to post it to a blog once we are next able to get broadband access.

It was getting late now so we had to leave before the parked closed for the night. This was our last safari since we leave in the morning to return to Simon’s Town and Leu Cat. However, it was a very special one for us as we watched the lions hunt and saw and heard how the baboons play their role in the wilds of Africa.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA