LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 8 Day 95 Exploring Luderitz

28 September 2015 | Luderitz, Nambia
Dave/Sunny and Windy
After completing another early morning load of laundry, Mary Margaret and I hopped in our dinghy and motored off to the Luderitz waterfront. In the last couple of years they have rebuilt the waterfront area as part of their efforts to make Luderitz a tourist destination. Given its German roots, they are trying to lure Europeans and especially Germans here. Given its rather remote location (approximately 1000 km by road to the nearest major city, the capital city of Windhoek), it is well off the beaten path. Needless to say, there are not too many tourists here.

We wanted to find the Luderitz museum and, along the way, talk to someone about making arraignments to explore Kolmanskop, the ghost town which was once a diamond mining town out in the desert, and to explore Point Diaz. We also decided that since we would be out and about, we would check out a few stores and then sample some local food.

The town is actually very small and it is easy to walk to just about anywhere here. We stopped by the local department store (PEP) and surveyed their stock. For such a remote and small town (reportedly the population is about 12,000 but I think that includes the various sea gulls here), it was very well stocked. Next, we found the small museum but discovered that it had very restrictive hours (1530 to 1700). Being opened for just 1.5 hours each day tells us that not too many tourists come to visit.

Despite being disappointed about not being able to explore the museum, we set off to explore the rest of the town. Along the way we saw many neat colonial styled buildings and homes, some of which I took pictures of and will post above this blog. We stumbled on a building with an “i” painted over the door meaning that it was a place of information. Once inside we met with Heinz who specializes in desert trips and off road excursions. We set up an all day tour of the ghost town Kolmanskop, Diaz Point (named after the Portuguese explorer Bartolomeu Dias who discovered this bay in 1487) and the coastline around Diaz Point with its many little bays. The cost for each of the four of us is $750 N or about $53 US. We are now booked for October 7th.

We next found a couple of street venders cooking some rather appetizing sausages and meats, a seafood soup and a deep fried doughy ball. Mary Margaret is not into sampling street food the way I am but even she could not resist sampling the doughy ball. For $2 N or about 14 cents US, we shared one and were surprised at how good it was. If Greg and Mary are interested, I will take them here for lunch when we arrive next week so we can sample the sausages, grilled meats (lamb?) and soup, along with the doughy ball.

We also found the other supermarket here, called Spar. It was better stocked than the OK supermarket so we know that we will not have any problems in stock up on fruits and veggies before we leave for St. Helena.

After stopping in a hardware store and talking to a few people on the sidewalk, we discovered that a couple of the restaurants we were interested were either out of business or had moved down to the new waterfront area. Thus, we hooved it back there and sat down to lunch at Ritzi’s Seafood. While the food was not as good as the view, it was OK and we enjoyed talking with a young French couple who were spending 3 weeks on safari, driving and camping as they explored Namibia. They told us this is the start of the high season here. Well, during our walk about we saw maybe a dozen tourists. Maybe most of them are taking tours in the desert or just sleeping in. Who knows but we now have an idea as to how sleepy a place Luderitz is. We love it sleepy!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA