LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 8 Day 141 Passage To Tobago/Grenada

12 November 2015 | 500 nm ESE From Fernando de Noronha
Dave/Mostly Sunny
We received an email from a blog reader friend of ours. He is French but works and lives with his family in Singapore. His name is Pascal and we really enjoyed getting to meet and know him when we were in Singapore two years ago. He shared with us that he had just completed his transatlantic crossing, going from France to Tortola, BVI. He had hoped that we could have met up in BVI. However, as you know, we are now heading for the south end of the Antilles instead of the north end, where BVI is located.

Anyway, he shared with us that the sailing was great but they had all kind of electrical and electronic issues. One of the problems we can relate to since we are having a similar problem. He wrote: "To add to our misery, we had little trouble with one of the compasses when we were starting our starboard engine like it would get confused and throw our heading off by 20-30 degrees. So our internal procedure was to turn off the pilot before starting the engine, start, then monitor until the compass recovered: fun especially before we could diagnose this as before we could not comprehend, we were losing the wind totally, thinking initially that the wind might have shifted, then we would adjust heading on pilot accordingly, to again lose it the other way around when the compass recovers ;-)"

This is almost the exact problem we are having. Except in our case, the auto pilot sometimes goes wacko when we start the generator to charge the batteries. When this happens, we have to hand steer until it settles down. I need to ask him if the boat, which was a Lagoon 38, used the Raymarine auto pilot and chart plotter system.

This issue had stopped occurring for the last few weeks and we had hoped it was behind us. However, it started up again last night. Mary had just replaced me at the helm and the batteries were down to 12.3 volts. Thus, it was time to start the generator and restore the voltage level in the house batteries.

As soon as I had the generator running I heard Mary call for me. When I reached the helm Otto was taking Leu Cat further and further toward the east and into the wind. In no time we were in irons and we had to fire up the engines to turn the boat around and restore our course. I sat up with Mary waiting for Otto to settle down until 2245. By then he was doing much better and Mary had firm control of the situation.

This morning, when I came up to relieve Mary Margaret, at 0600, it was time to fire up the generator again to recharge the batteries. This time Otto behaved himself. Whew! Never a dull moment on this passage!

When the sun was fully up I was able to inspect the boat and in the process I discovered our next issue. The starboard lazy jack had broken and was dangling from the mast. The lazy jack is a series of lines that are connected and they hold up the bag that the mainsail falls into when we drop the main. They also help guide the sail into the bag.

Losing a lazy jack line is not the end of the world but it is something that we will need to fix before we get into heavy weather. I do not want to reef the main with a dangling line that has a small block on its end, swinging around. As I watched it, it would sometimes swing under a batten car. I am concerned that if we get into a storm and need to throw in another reef or two that a batten car with get jammed on the lazy jack block. What a revolting development that would be!

I had suggested that when the seas and winds calm down that Mary Margaret haul me up the mast about 20 feet do I can install a replacement line. However, she nixed that idea after seeing me hang on for dear life the last time I went up the mast in the open ocean. Instead, she suggested that we wait until we reach Fernando de Noronha, which is the island off the coast of Brazil that we have been heading toward. It was our intent to use this as a place where we could refuel if we had to motor a lot due to light winds. Since we have barely run the engines, we were hoping to just sail by it as we turned to head up the South American coast.

Mary Margaret's thinking is that we are not supposed to have any heavy weather until well north of that island so we should just continue on with one reef in the main until we reach that island. Once there, we briefly anchor in the quite waters off the leeward side of the island, make the line repair, and then continue on. We would only lose ½ or less of a day doing this. We could also decide if we wanted to run in to get fuel, assuming that the officials would let us do so. We are supposed to have Brazilin visas to stop there and we do not. We have been told that we can claim an emergency and be allowed to stay up to 72 hours if we pay mucho dinero.

We have decided to follow Mary Margaret's suggestion, especially since I am not overly anxious to go up the mast, even just 20 feet, in the rolly seas we have been having. We are still 500 nm away and hope to make it in 4 days.

As of noon today, the end of Day 5, our position is 4 59.2"S: 24 14.3W. Our course is 254 degrees True due to a shift in the winds; our speed is 4.7 knots with only 9.5 knots of apparent wind from the E. The swells are a bit bumpy with cross swells coming from the E and the SE, each under 2 meters.

We made just 125 nm this last day due to light winds that started in the night and will continue for a day or two. Our average speed for the day was 5.2 knots and our average speed for the passage has been 5.25 knots. We have sailed 630 nm since leaving Ascension Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA