LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 8 Day 158 Passage To Tobago/Grenada

29 November 2015 | 177 nm ESE From Grenada
Mary Margaret/Mostly Sunny
So Close, So Close and Yet So Far! (by Mary) We ended our day yesterday with a yummy meal of spaghetti and meatballs that Mary Margaret prepared. We were all a bit hungrier than normal since we adjusted our clocks earlier in the day to reflect the new time zone. And as a result of the time change, the sun set a bit earlier as well. After enjoying the cool evening breeze and a bit of conversation we all turned in. I was able to get a little nap before my shift at 9pm. It was another moonlit night and we were moving along at around 7 plus knots. With the winds and current at our stern, "Otto" was a bit more active. At first I was a little concerned because it was on my shift that the rudder quadrant pin broke which Otto is attached to. After about an hour, I was confident that "Otto" had good control. I really enjoy the peaceful nights. I am mostly in deep thought and think of my family and friends a lot but sometimes I am just singing along to the iPod tunes. (Kind of like singing in the shower, and so far I haven't woken anyone up!) For the first time on my watch I observed 3 ships on radar at the same time. One 984' cargo ship came within 5 miles. It's nice to have a bit of "company" on watches. Not as exciting as the dolphins that Mary Margaret and Greg were treated to, but nice nonetheless. When Greg came up for his shift we were still on target for arrival, late afternoon on November 30. Oh what a difference a few hours (and no wind) make! When Dave checked the auto pilot pin earlier this morning, he noted that the wood clamp had come completely off. It's a good thing that he had the vice grips as a backup. During my watch this morning, I kept hearing "Chocolate Ice Cream!", "Margaritas!", "Pina Coladas!" Dave and Greg need to exercise a bit of patience. The wind gods are playing a cruel joke on the crew of Leu Cat. Today the winds are so very light and we are moving along in the low to mid 5 knot range, possibly putting the impending arrival off until the morning of December 1. Mary Margaret sensed that we needed a morale booster so off to the galley she went. A short time later the wonderful aroma of chocolate filled the salon. She called us all down and served fresh baked brownies! As if double chocolate brownies were not enough, Dave had to top his with chocolate syrup and Greg slathered peanut butter on his. (I think the salty air is getting to them!) Mary Margaret and I enjoyed our perfectly baked double chocolate brownies, plain. A note on our provisions: we still have plenty of meat in the freezer; we have a few fresh potatoes, onions and butternut squash. Planning provisions for 4 people for 40 days is no easy feat. We've had fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, green and red peppers, carrots, green and red cabbages, apples, oranges and bananas. Kudos to Mary Margaret, she really did well!

As of noon today, the end of our Day 22 of our passage to Grenada, our position is 10 36.7'N: 58 57.2W, our course is 303 degrees True, our speed is 6.2 knots with 11 knots of apparent wind coming from the ENE. The seas are mild with only 1 to 1.5 meter swells from the E.

We made 154 nm today, averaging with 6.4 knots as our average speed. So far, we have sailed 3000 nm with a daily average speed of 5.7 knots. We are just 177 nm short of Grenada and will need to average 6.5 knots to get there before dark tomorrow. Mary Margaret and I have a policy of never entering an unknown bay or anchorage in the dark. Charts are not reliable and buoys move. We need to arrive before 1700 tomorrow evening in order to get to the marina before dark. If we cannot make it in time, we will just have to heave to about 10 or so miles short of Grenada and spend the night there while waiting for daylight hours. �...and the margaritas and ice cream will just have to wait�...sigh.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA