LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 9 Day 174 Sailing South

23 July 2016 | Anse Chastanet, St. Lucia
Dave/Mostly Sunny


Just a note to say that our SailBlog web site is still down so we just keep on posting our blog directly onto our Facebook page. We are getting a lot of emails from people wondering what has happened. There is not anything we can do about it as we wait for the webpage administrator to fix the bugs in the “improvements” they installed. Grrrrr.

This morning we strolled over to the fruit and veggie stands that were setup this morning on the marina grounds. They are here each Wednesday and Saturday morning. It is like a mini farmers market. We bought a few things and then returned to Leu Cat and dropped the dinghy. We still needed some fresh yoghurt so off we went, crossing the lagoon, as we headed over to the malls on the far side. There are a couple of nice supermarkets there. Soon we were armed with our yoghurt and had added a few small baguettes as a bonus.

When we returned to Leu Cat I went and paid our marina bill and soon we had thrown off the deck lines were heading out of the lagoon and into Rodney Bay. We raised the sails with nice winds and had high hopes of a great sail for the 15 nm to the south central part of the west coast of the island. However, a large squall had just moved off in front of us so we were sucked in the lee of it. With most squalls, the lee of the squall is an area where there are light, flakey winds and that is just what we got. Grrrr. Thus, we motored sailed for a couple of hours until the squall had moved far enough to the west for the good winds to return.

The last 5 or 6 nm of our passage ended up with a great sail in 15 to 18 knot of wind and us doing between 7 and 9.5 knots. Dwight and Kati enjoyed the sail by laying on the trampolines that run between our bows watching the flying fish and turtles that we sailed past. It was a great time!

With Dwight and Kati manning the bow lines, me with the boat hook and Mary Margaret piloting Leu Cat, grabbing the mooring ball an our little anchorage in Anse Chastanet was a snap. Once we had Leu Cat squared away, Dwight dove over the boat to enjoy the clear blue water. I soon followed.

Next came rounds of ice cold margaritas as we all had big smiles on our faces. Here we were, in a beautiful anchorage with the Pitons towering in the near distance, the cliffs in front of us carpeted with dense, verdant vegetation, a nice beach at the base of the cliffs and drinks in our hands while enjoying our little piece of paradise. It just does not get better than this!

While it was late in the day, Dwight was anxious to go snorkeling to check out the colorful reef that we are sitting next to. Thus, between margaritas, he donned his diving gear and off he went. When we returned he shared with all how magnificent the reef was with huge pieces of brain coral and various types of sponges. He did not realize how big sponges can get.

While he was off diving, Mary Margaret began making her delicious Cape Malay chicken curry for dinner. This is a special recipe our some of our friends in South Africa shared with her. It is a sweet curry that is served over bananas and is wonderful!

As the darkness fell we enjoyed the mass of stars that slowly came out. I was hoping to show Dwight the Southern Cross but it was too low in the horizon and was covered by distant clouds. When Mary Margaret and I went to bed, Dwight and Kati were lying on the roof of our salon, starring up at the stars and enjoying the show. Life is good!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA