Progress in Haiti

03 May 2010
LMSHQ
The schooner Halie and Matthew arrived in Haiti at an undisclosed location, full of relief supplies on Friday morning, April 30, 2010. The day was chaos, trying to get customs clearance before the week-end, and when that was impossible, our man on the ground in Haiti, Greg Bennick, from One Hundred for Haiti, worked a miracle on Saturday, getting all the paperwork finalized. The unloading was scheduled for first thing today, Monday, but before that.....

I got a call last night at 23h30 from Captain Jared. They had just survived a powerful microburst. For 45 minutes they had over 60 knots of wind, that damaged surrounding buildings (the guard hut was blown into the sea), and was in danger of causing severe damage to the Halie and Matthew. The crew responded quickly as some dock lines parted, they cut the bow line with a machete, and took the Halie and Matthew off the dock to wait it out. During this time, remember that the deck is full of cargo. When they called they were back at the dock, all tied up, nobody hurt, ship and cargo fine.

It is not over, until its over. Our crew is doing a wonderful job persevering against all odds. As Ernest Shackleton once said, "by endurance, we conquer". The photo, is by Greg Bennick, and is a reminder why we are doing this.
Comments
Vessel Name: Liberty Schooner
Vessel Make/Model: 78' Steel Schooner
Hailing Port: New York
About: Philip and Sharon are committed to life transformation. Our vision for the Liberty Schooner is to create a unique learning environment as a catalyst for a life transforming experience. We want people to develop to their full potential.
Extra: Our Leadership Coaching and Sail Training programs realize positive life change for leaders and teams in such a way that they increase their effectiveness and influence in every area of their lives, in the office and at home.
Home Page: http://www.libertyschooner.com

Leadership Development &Team Building aboard the schooner Liberty

Port: New York