Gulf of Mexico
19 June 2017
We managed to dodge the thunderstorms in the gulf but a few came close. This one left us with a beautiful rainbow.
Back in the USA
19 June 2017
We left Nassau on 6/10/17. Crossed to Gun Cay to stage for gulfstream crossing. Was supposed to be calm with light winds out of the southeast. Winds picked up as the day went on to east 15+. Made it to Gun/Cat Cay at about 11pm. Tried to anchor near Cat but couldn't get anchor to hold in the wind and swells. Our friends on Nereus had left Nassau the day before us and were anchored at Gun Cay. When the winds picked up from the east their anchor dragged. As we were coming into Cat we saw them motoring over to near where we were to try to reanchor. After not holding we decided to go out the cut, a scary thing to do at night, but we have been in and out of the cut many times and had a track saved on our chart plotter. We thought it would be calmer and better holding on the west side of the island out of the east wind and swell. Our anchor did set well but we had a southeast swell running out of the gulf so we rolled all night. Finally got to bed around midnight but didn't sleep much. We got up and left at daylight to cross the gulfstream. Southeast swells had built all night and the gulfstream was pretty nasty. We couldn't head to Key Largo against the stream so headed toward Miami. Ended up just south of Biscayne Bay, got in behind the reef where it was calm and motored down to Rodriguez Cay. Got there just before dark. Had a good night sleep then headed to Marathon the next day.
Planned to stay in Marathon for about a week to rest up from long trip from Nassau as well as hit the grocery store and restaurants. When we got to Marathon all of the mooring balls were full and the anchorage was pretty full also. We anchored and got on the waiting list for a mooring. Unfortunately after looking at the weather we decided we needed to leave ASAP to get across the gulf before the tropical storm that was developing off the Yucatan.
We left Marathon on Thursday 6/15/17 and headed across the gulf to Appalachicola, FL. We made there late Saturday, 57 hrs total time. The gulf was nice and calm for the first 2 days but the last 10 or 12 hrs we had west winds 15+ and west swells. We anchored in the Appalachicola river just across from town. It was great to finally turn off the engines and have a nice peaceful nights sleep. We got up early Sunday and headed up the ICW to Panama City. We anchored in Smack Bayou for the night and then moved to the Panama City Marina where we will wait to see what the storm decides to do. Right now just overcast with occasional rain showers but the weather is supposed to deteriorate over the next few days depending on where the storm goes. Plan to head on toward home when this system passes.
19 June 2017
Three masted schooner anchored off Nassau