Sailing aboard Links

04 January 2017 | Vero Beach, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Fort Myers Beach FL
22 November 2016 | Vero Beach City Marina mooring field
01 November 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fathom Adonia Cruise Ship
01 July 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fatham Adonia cruise ship
26 April 2016 | Okeechobee Waterway
20 March 2016 | Cayo Costa to/from Clearwater Beach
17 February 2016 | Along the Gulf of Mexico
30 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
13 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
24 December 2015 | Vaca Key
19 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
08 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
02 December 2015 | Marathon Marina
01 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
27 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
23 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
22 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
18 November 2015 | Peck Lake
13 November 2015 | Mullet Creek
07 November 2015 | San Marcos mooring field of St Augustine Municipal Marina

Jupiter Island in Central Florida

18 November 2015 | Peck Lake
Jill / sunny and breezy days in the mid 80's
Last Friday, after meandering out the mangrove islands at Melbourne Beach, we decided to sail across the shallows back out to the ICW. The winds were in our favor, so we kept sailing and enjoyed an incredible SAIL for over 10 nautical miles, sailing 6 kts in NE 10 to 15 kt winds, from Melbourne Beach to the Wabasso Bridge. Bud and Jen pulled out their screecher and s/v SeaQuest easily sailed past s/v Links. Awesome day of sailing!

We arrived at the mooring field in Vero Beach and rafted on a ball with Bud and Jen in the southern field. There were only 2 other mooring balls available on Friday and by Sunday, all the balls were filled, with almost half having 2 and sometimes 3 boats rafted together. Vero Beach is a favorite stop for cruisers for many reasons – it's a great harbor, there's a bus stop right at the marina to take you to so many stores for re-provisioning, the ocean is a short distance away, and the area is lovely and tropical with banyon trees and palm trees.

It's fun talking with other cruisers in the boaters lounge or laundry room, on the bus, or in the dinghies at the dock or on our rides to and from our boats. On one of our dinghy rides, we saw s/v What If rafted to another boat near our mooring ball. We met Ed and Cathy in Fort Myers on a different boat on our last trip, so we dinghied over to talk with them and ended up getting an invitation to a potluck aboard their catamaran the next night. Cool! They have friends that live nearby, so they called and invited them to also join us. There were 9 of us, so there was an abundance of food with lots of interesting conversations. What a fun night and a great way to end our wonderful stay in Vero Beach!

Yesterday, we raised the mainsail as soon as we left the mooring field, hoping to motor sail or even sail for awhile. However, the winds were from the south east, the direction we were heading, so we ending up motor sailing all day. It was a bit bumpy at times, but not uncomfortable. There were lots of dolphins along the way, and at one time one dolphin was so close I thought I could touch it. So cool! Tim even saw a large skate jump out of the water. Very cool!

Around St Lucie, we watched kite boards and sail boarders scooting along the water. As we crossed St Lucie Inlet, the water turned a beautiful green and blue color and so clear!

We anchored in Peck Lake in the afternoon, so we had plenty of time to dinghy to shore and walk along the beach at Jupiter Island, looking for sea beans in the wrack. It was a successful trip, because I found a pretty orange hamburger bean and both Jen and I found a heart shaped sea bean! Yay! We watched a beautiful sunset over our anchorage before our dinghy ride back to our boats. What a great day!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Links
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc, Sailing Catamaran
Hailing Port: Taylors Island MD
Crew: Tim and Jill
About: We enjoy sailing and cruising around the Chesapeake Bay and the Delmarva Peninsula on our sailing vessel named Links. Every other year we become snowbirds and spend winters in Florida. We visit wonderful places and meet friendly people everywhere we travel. Life is good!
Extra: It's as much about the journey as it is the destination!

Profile for S/V Links

Who: Tim and Jill
Port: Taylors Island MD