Sailing aboard Links

04 January 2017 | Vero Beach, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Fort Myers Beach FL
22 November 2016 | Vero Beach City Marina mooring field
01 November 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fathom Adonia Cruise Ship
01 July 2016 | Puerto Plato aboard Fatham Adonia cruise ship
26 April 2016 | Okeechobee Waterway
20 March 2016 | Cayo Costa to/from Clearwater Beach
17 February 2016 | Along the Gulf of Mexico
30 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
13 January 2016 | Boot Key Harbor
24 December 2015 | Vaca Key
19 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
08 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
02 December 2015 | Marathon Marina
01 December 2015 | Boot Key Harbor
27 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
23 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
22 November 2015 | Tarpon Basin at Key Largo
18 November 2015 | Peck Lake
13 November 2015 | Mullet Creek
07 November 2015 | San Marcos mooring field of St Augustine Municipal Marina

Hurricane Sandy

30 October 2012 | Slaughter Creek Marina
Jill
We decided to haul out Links for the season after listening to the forecasts for Hurricane Sandy. The marina was pretty active Friday and Saturday with many boat owners getting their boats hauled. The watermen pulled their crab pots from the bay and unloaded their crab pots onshore. There were only a few boats that remained in the water and they appeared to be well secured to pilings. On Sunday morning, Slaughter Creek had white caps from the strong north east winds. So glad Links was on land in the boatyard! Needless to say, Tim and several other boat owners checked on the boats many times on Sunday and Monday due to the strong winds coming from various directions, the constant rain and high tides. The coastal towns all along the East Coast were greatly impacted. Fortunately, the boats at Slaughter Creek Marina on the Chesapeake Bay made out just fine!

Taylors Island MD

25 October 2012 | Slaughter Creek Marina off Little Choptank River
Jill / E winds at 10 kts diminishing to 2 kts
After spending more time walking and shopping in St. Michaels, we decided to move to another anchorage Wednesday afternoon. The winds were light and variable as we motored out Broad Creek and up Harris Creek to anchor in Dun Cove, another beautiful anchorage.

Shortly after leaving Dun Cove Thursday morning, we raised the sails, turned off the motor, and enjoyed a very pleasant sail out Harris Creek, across the Choptank River and down the Chesapeake Bay. The bay water became flat calm as the winds diminished throughout the day. We motored into Little Choptank River and Slaughter Creek to tie up in our slip. What a wonderful way to end our trip!

Our original plans were to sail to the Outer Banks. Weather changed our plans, but that's pretty typical. We enjoyed spending quality time around the bay in our local area visiting Solomons Island, Easton, Cambridge and St. Michaels. Now we're waiting to see what happens when Hurricane Sandy heads our way.

St. Michaels MD

24 October 2012 | Choptank River, San Domingo Creek
Jill / sunny, 75 deg
We had a wonderful time at the Cambridge Schooner Rendezvous! Toured several schooners, toured the new Choptank Lighthouse, listened to good music, talked with friends, walked all around Cambridge and enjoyed the walking tour of the Historic Cambridge district. We also met George and Mary, a friendly cruising couple from St. Martin in the Caribbean Islands who arrived on their 47 foot catamaran. They left their home port 2 years ago and are sailing around the world. What a wonderful adventure!

On Sunday, we went to St. Pauls UMC and walked around Long Wharf to see the schooners again before leaving Cambridge. We motored out the Choptank River into head winds and anchored in Grace Creek off Broad Creek. Another picturesque anchorage!

On Monday morning, we motored across Broad Creek and passed about 40 workboats tonging for oysters. What a nice sight! We anchored in picturesque San Domingo Creek, which is commonly known as the back door to St. Michaels. We dinghied ashore and walked all around St. Michaels. Our friends Bob and Alice sailed their catamaran and anchored in St. Michaels harbor. We enjoyed dinner and appetizers on "My Gem An I" and "Links". Our friends Dave and Jackie met us by land on Tuesday and the six of us enjoyed a delicious lunch and afternoon together. It was so nice to spend quality time with our friends by land and by water at beautiful St. Michaels!!

Cambridge MD

19 October 2012 | Choptank River, Cambridge Creek
Jill / pleasant 70 deg temps
After leaving Solomons Island Wednesday morning, we motor sailed north to the Choptank River and motored to the head of picturesque Tred Avon River. Our anchorage in Papermill Pond was serene and protected with very close access to shore. We dinghied up the North Fork and around Papermill Pond. There was a dinghy dock at the boat ramp next to Easton Point Marina, which made it easy to walk the mile and a half to several plazas in Easton.

On Thursday, we motored up the Choptank River toward Cambridge into 10 to 15 kt head winds. We rolled out the jib, but the only time the sail filled was when we weren't heading toward our destination. Oh well, at least we can say we raised the sails. We're tied up along the concrete wall by the county building at the shallow end so we're out of the way of schooners. This is the weekend for the Cambridge Schooner Rendezvous. We're looking forward to seeing schooners and other vessels at the festivities throughout the weekend.

Photos from this summer and this trip can be found in the web album "Photos of Cruising around the Chesapeake Bay" located at the right side of our blog.

Solomons Island MD

17 October 2012 | Patuxent River
Jill / calm, sunny, 75 deg
We anchored in several creeks during our 4 day stay at Solomons Island. Our first anchorage was in Mill Creek with close access to the public dock for visiting the town. Our next anchorage was near the head of St. John Creek where we dinghied to the dock and walked up the hill to visit Annmarie Sculpture Garden. We always enjoy seeing the unique and artistic sculptures along the paved walkway, and there was a wonderful watercolor exhibit of watermen at work in the arts building. Our last anchorage was in Back Creek within view of the Calvert Marine Museum. We enjoyed watching the river otters at play, touring the Drum Point Lighthouse, and walking thru the museum and buildings to learn more about maritime history. As always, we enjoyed our stay in Solomons Island!

Start of Our Fall Trip

14 October 2012 | Solomons Island, MD
Jill / Sunny, Breezy, 73 deg
The summer's over, we're done working, and it's time to go cruising again! It was a crisp fall October Saturday morning when we left the marina. We had an enjoyable motor-sail across the bay to Solomons Island. There are lots of things to do around here. On Saturday, we walked around town and on Sunday we went to church, visited the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, and walked around the Tiki Hut plaza for That Doggone Tiki Hut Pet Day to promote pet adoption. We also listened to live music at Bunky's while enjoying a delicious ice cream cone. Fun day.

It's getting breezy so we moved upstream to a more protected anchorage. We're planning to visit Annmarie Sculpture Garden and the Calvert Marine Museum over the next couple of days while waiting for better weather to travel on the bay. Solomons Island is such a beautiful and picturesque area!
Vessel Name: Links
Vessel Make/Model: Gemini 105Mc, Sailing Catamaran
Hailing Port: Taylors Island MD
Crew: Tim and Jill
About: We enjoy sailing and cruising around the Chesapeake Bay and the Delmarva Peninsula on our sailing vessel named Links. Every other year we become snowbirds and spend winters in Florida. We visit wonderful places and meet friendly people everywhere we travel. Life is good!
Extra: It's as much about the journey as it is the destination!

Profile for S/V Links

Who: Tim and Jill
Port: Taylors Island MD