Out of Bounds

22 March 2017 | Ho Chi Minh City (or Saigon as most Vietnamese refer)
29 January 2017
27 January 2017
27 January 2017
26 January 2017
26 January 2017
26 January 2017
25 January 2017
20 January 2017
19 January 2017 | Riverside Pottery Homestay
18 January 2017
17 January 2017 | The Old Town, Hoi An, Vietnam

The Day of the Silent Sail

18 June 2012
Steve’s take..
With our sail with the silent spirituals scheduled for 3:30 the fog was as thick as French pea soup, Canada is a bilingual country. There must be more to this spiritual thing than we imagined. At 3:20 the fog lifted and the sun came out, quite the trick. Marg and I hightailed it down to the boat and quickly prepared to sail as the twelve passengers drifted silently down to the dock. We had made the decision that since we couldn’t ask if they wanted a life jacket we would make them all wear one and as they passed the boat house they were all outfitted in jackets. Marg mimed the safe way to move to the bow of the boat and demonstrated how they would get caught if they tried to pass between the wires that hold up the mast. Spirituals have a sense of humour because they all laughed at Marg’s high jinks. Obviously the no communication thing was breaking down because there was a lot of waving to acquaintances on shore and pointing. Most passengers were taking pictures with the shutter bugs going into a frenzy as the cult leader was seen making her way from on cabin to another in her long thick white dress and brilliant white hair. As cult leaders are she didn’t acknowledge our presence, I assume she knew we were there she is a see’er after all.
Unfortunately spirituals don’t know much about sailing or they would of whipped up some wind when they lifted the fog. We cleared the channel and turned off the motor as was previously requested and proceeded to drift down the coast of George Island with a 1 mph favourable current and an additional .2 mph supplied by almost no wind. We managed to silently ghost along the shore without enough speed for steerage. After about a half hour of slowly passing this spectacular landscape the waves had pushed us to close and we used the engine to turn us around. With the engine off against the current we were dead in the water being washed toward shore. Marg and I conferred in silence and decided to motor out to sea and sail on away from the lodge for as long as we could and then motor them back at the end of the trip. We spent the next hour and a half playing with the sails to keep us moving. The passengers didn’t make a sound or move from their original positions; some were either communing with cosmos or sleeping it hard to tell the difference.
We motored them back to the dock and as they departed we received some silent thumbs, up one young girl offered us a tip and another lady started to say something and realized her mistake and walked away all flustered. All in all I think they got the experience they were looking for. I don’t know if I prefer the usual socialize with Marg and Steve sail or the silent sailing adventure.

Marg’s take..
We woke to a thick fog the morning of our first of two silent sails. As the day progressed so did the fog. Stormy almost disappeared from view while standing in front of the boat house just 10 paces away. At 3pm we decided to cancel the sail, scheduled for 3:30pm, due to the fog and lack of wind. We told the front desk and wrote “cancelled” in the schedule book, but neither staff knew how we were to communicate the change to the group. We headed back to our cabin and then to the dock to put Stormy away for the evening. No word of a lie, at 3:25pm the fog started to lift and we noticed a migration of people, from all directions, ghosting towards the dock... sort of an eerie sight if you can imagine. Steve and I glanced at each other and said, “Well, I guess the sail is back on!”
We managed to gather the group and secure their life jackets on (no exception due to the restrictions placed upon us) and then we corralled them to Stormy’s dock.
Now this is when my training from years of Aquafit came to play.
Look at me = 2 finger pointing at my eyes and then motioning two taps with my hand at my chest .. and from that moment forward I began to mime every thought that came to mind. To our surprise they watched with amusement, clapped, pointed, smiled and giggled at my attempts of animation. Their silence was broken. In fact thinking back on the evening sail (which Steve describes very well), I believe that we were much better at this silent thing then they were. Actually, being washed up alongside George Island was absolutely fascinating. We never thought we could come so close to her magnificent high rocky shoreline without tearing a hole into Stormy Night’s hull.
At this time I’d like to thank you all for your wonderful comments to our first take of this very unusual situation. We never laughed so hard. I would love to shared those with the group, but I think I best keep them for my next career as a stand up comic!
Comments
Vessel Name: Lion's Paw #315
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42 #315
Hailing Port: Registered in Edmonton.. why not eh!
Crew: Marg & Steve Colquhoun
About: Coming full circle around the Caribbean, we have sold Lion's Paw and are now Cruisers Living on Dirt.. but you can't take the sailor out of anyone.
Extra: This blog is meant for family and friends whom wish to share in our adventure. I plan to add a few comments along the way that may be of help for those wishing to embark on a similar voyage. Looking forward to meeting you out there!
Social:
Lion's Paw #315's Photos - Main
Our First Trip to Asia..destination Vietnam.
550 Photos
Created 28 January 2017
This might be our last time aboard Lion's Paw:(
85 Photos
Created 4 July 2016
Family and Friends (turf & surf)
17 Photos
Created 9 November 2015
14 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 3 March 2015
18 Photos
Created 13 February 2015
Our trip to Trujillo
44 Photos
Created 8 February 2015
51 Photos
Created 17 June 2014
15 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
17 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
Boquete is a small town on the Caldera River, in the green mountain highlands of Panama, in western-most Chiriquí Province, about 60 km. from the border with Costa Rica.
25 Photos
Created 15 February 2014
Never say good-bye... just ¡hasta luego (see you later).
13 Photos
Created 17 October 2013
While Steve's out fishing, I've been taking photos of L.P.
21 Photos
Created 28 March 2013
1 Photo | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 29 August 2011
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 January 2011
23 Photos
Created 30 January 2011
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 22 December 2010
21 Photos
Created 13 December 2010
35 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
53 Photos
Created 5 December 2010
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 28 November 2010
85 Photos
Created 3 October 2010
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 September 2010
6 Photos | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 26 August 2010
22 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 July 2010
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 16 June 2010
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 10 May 2010
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 6 May 2010
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 May 2010
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 3 May 2010
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 6 April 2010
44 Photos | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 20 March 2010
83 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 March 2010
72 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 10 January 2010
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 December 2009
1 Photo | 15 Sub-Albums
Created 5 November 2009
1 Photo | 5 Sub-Albums
Created 28 September 2009
13 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 15 September 2009
7 Sub-Albums
Created 8 September 2009
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 8 September 2009
1 Photo | 10 Sub-Albums
Created 8 September 2009
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 8 September 2009
25 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
7 Photos
Created 30 April 2009
Aquafit Participants
44 Photos
Created 11 April 2009