Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Winterization

Sunday the 3rd of January, 2010
Susan and I are sprinting to the boat again today to winterize. It's imperative as the temperature is in the low 20s and the wind howling.
We arrived a little after 10am 24° and the wind blowing 23-31 knots at Stingray Point Light. Our swim platform and some of the hull near the water line had ice clinging to it. Salt water ice! We opened the door to LIQUID THERAPY and found an icicle hanging out of our galley spigot. I turned on the Heat Pumps and water came out the through hull fittings so that was good that the pumps raw water wasn't frozen. But shortly after running one of the through hulls stopped spitting out water. I guess the heat pump was doing what it was supposed to do. By taking the heat out of almost frozen raw salt water flowing though the system the heat pump froze the salt water. So, I cut the heat pump off used Susan's hair dryer to thaw the heat pump.
The engine refused to start again. It had air in the fuel system again. Got it started, warmed up and started sucking the oil out of the dip stick. Slow even with the warm oil. Got the oil changed and moved on to the holding tank, heads and freshwater system. Susan pumped all the water (220 gallons) out and added the pink stuff antifreeze to both tanks. She like to froze to death outside while I was in the bilge draining the hot water tank. We could not get the water pump to prime with the pink antifreeze we had added in the tanks. So I took the intake hose off the pump and poured antifreeze into it as the pump ran and Susan turned on each faucet until she saw pink. Moved on to the the engine and could not get the seacock closed to the intake of the engine. I pulled the intake hose off the seacock; let the seawater run into the bilge and had Susan start the engine as I poured antifreeze into the intake hose winterizing the saltwater side of the cooling system. Cut the engine off and put the hose back on the seacock. Moved on to the heat pumps and got antifreeze through the saltwater side of them. Put an outdoor 50watt light securely in the engine area of the bilge for added measure and to drive moisture out of the area. Outdoor floodlights are great source of heat and will not break if condensation drips on them. So I don't feel bad using them in the bilge with a protected lamp fixture for good measure. So the boat is put to sleep for a few months until spring.
Meanwhile, I have purchased a 2500w used inverter; intend to change the exhaust hose and muffler; and install a battery switch when I can get back down there. It's been snowing here at out home in Virginia a lot more than the last 10 years. So, I have to wait for better driving conditions to go to the boat for those projects.


Comments