Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 41 Monday, November 30, 2015

Passage - Port Royal Landing Marina to Marsh Harbor Boatyard, Beaufort, SC

12:49 AM Underway
1:42 Perched in the travel-lift Marsh Harbor Boatyard
5 miles 1.1 engine hours

Well here we are. Up in the sling for the night while the yard reinforces the fiberglass around the rudder. When the yard lifted Liquid Therapy out of the water we expected to see something obviously wrong with the hull outside. Weirdly, there is no damage to fix. They checked the rudder for slack. They checked the shaft for slack. Both are tight. No chips or cracks in the hull.

The yard manager surmised that the rudder assembly was pushed hard at some time to have cracked the fiberglass box that the rudder goes through. So, the yard is taking the same approach that I was taking just to reinforce the area that is leaking. Their advantage is the boat is out of the water and no water is trickling in. The yard manager also found a bolt sheared off on the swim platform. That is also causing some water to come in a different place. Hey it’s an old boat!

We took advantage of the boat being out of the water to do a little hull cleanup, touchup, caulking, painting and rust cleaning.

I was a little disappointed in the tech working on the fiberglass repair that he did not get the fiberglassing done before leaving for the day. Looks like he is grinding more old fiberglass than I expected. Hope he doesn’t go through the other side. Yikes.

Still hopeful to splash tomorrow afternoon. But if not, this is not too bad for an extra day. The only thing we can’t do up in the air is to run the heat pumps. It’s a great temperature so, we are not going to get cold. We will just cuddle more tonight. Hey as the song goes,, if the travel lift is rocking, don’t bother knocking. HA.

We went 5 miles the WRONG direction today. However, Everyone said it was the best facility around. So, we don’t mind. And, it was the right direction.

Today’s picture is Liquid Therapy hanging in the Travel Lift at the boatyard.


Comments