Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 82 Sunday, January 10, 2016

Passage - Gilbert’s Resort & Marina Key Largo, FL Coral Bay Marina, Islamorada, FL
11:34 AM Underway

3:42 PM Coral Bay Marina, Islamorada, FL
5.2 engine hours 27 miles

Sunday was a weird day weather wise, as there were constant alerts about thunderstorms to the north in the Miami area. As we continued south we could see a line of clouds to the west and the wind picked up. The channel down the Keys on the Gulf of Mexico side is very shallow as well as very clear. You can see the shadow of the boat on the bottom following along in the 6’ or so of water.
As we neared our destination marina we had to depart the marked channel and ‘feel’ our way into the marina. The depth alarm kept going off as we often had only 2’ of water under our keel. We made it into Coral Bay Marina and were well tied to the face dock before the wind really picked up, 15-30kts! Boy, were we glad our decision was NOT to anchor out, when we thought the front had passed. Temporary lulls in weather can be dangerously fooling! We walked about and spoke with some other boaters that keep their boat at Coral Bay Marina. They said the marina was the location for the popular Netflix show, Bloodline. It was a very interesting working marina, but we were looking for a little more tropical marina to spend a month. People usually get a very good monthly rate at marinas. It’s the daily rates that are expensive. We enjoyed our dinner aboard with wind howling. Salmon cakes, spaghetti with basil pesto, thanks to Carter and Nelson, and green beans. All very yummy.

Today’s picture is from a few days ago - Miami in our rear view mirror ( if we had a rear view mirror ) as we head south down Biscayne Bay.


Comments