Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 90 Monday, January 18, 2016

Bayside Marina, Islamorada, FL

I’ve found the best spot on the planet for a wind farm. Islamorada, Florida ! Yep the boat is shaking around and water is hitting the bow like we are underway. 15-20 kts again, tonight. And, its 61°! We packed all our cold weather clothes and stored them at Jonathan’s. Just 1 sweater and lots of hot weather, long sleeve shirts on board. We are running the heat as I write this! What to do? Been here a week and have only put 3.9 hours on the boat. We thought we’d be doing day trips to the smaller keys and parks. Nope, just sitting in a howling wind. The bicyclists all are riding like they are drunk. Bridges have lowered their speed limits. What to do?

Rent a car. Yep, that’s what we did today. Rented a vehicle. FOR A WEEK!
Good rate at Enterprise and now we can explore the land portions of the Keys and check out some potential marinas and anchorages from land.

On the ride to pick up the rental, we noticed how serene the Atlantic is. It looked calm as far out as we could see. The Keys are running in a westerly direction down here and the wind is blowing out to the Atlantic from the north. So, the land is breaking the wind down as it blows from the shore. Calm? Bet it’s not calm 5 miles out.
And, we are on the Gulf of Mexico side of the land with not much blocking the wind.

So, put some ugly windmills up down here. You can probably shut down all the coal power plants with this wind. But, I’m sure there are some downsides to the windmills. I hear they are slowing the earth’s rotation. I’m sure there will be pelicans running into the blades and of course the wind patterns shifting will cause mangrove damage.

So, that’s it folks. I think I’m gonna turn on CFZM AM790 Toronto, CA and listen to the Lone Ranger @10PM.

Today’s picture is calm before the storm as Liquid Therapy ducks under the Lignumvitae Channel bridge Saturday returning from Alligator Reef.


Comments