Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 120 Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Passage - Bayside Marina, Islamorada, FL to Gilberts Resort, Key Largo, FL
10:29 AM Underway
3:00 PM Docked Gilberts Marina
5.4 engine hours 28 miles

Yesterday, Tuesday, we drove to the Miami airport to pick up our friends, Carter and Nelson Rosser, also boaters, who flew in from the frozen country of Richmond, VA.
And, today we are going to cruise to Gilbert’s Resort and Marina.
After their 1st night aboard, in the giant forward stateroom with private bathroom they were all refreshed and ready for the 28 mile cruise to Gilbert’s.
But, first we have to get underway and away from the dock. This requires undoing all the lines except the aft spring line that is tied midships of Liquid Therapy. I then put the boat in forward the boat tries to go forward but cannot resulting in the stern swinging out. Then I can hit reverse, give a little slack and the line can be hung on the dock for our return trip. The line needs to be hung on the dock quickly so the wind doesn't blow the stern back to the dock. Well, Susan tried with all her might to get the line on the dock quickly. It is a little harrowing. Oh, did I mention a bus load of Asian people had arrived and were all over the dock snapping pictures of Liquid Therapy getting underway? So, there was a lot of scrutiny of our departure seamanship of handling the boat. Carter said, “Susan don’t you want to close the rail gate?” Susan says “Not right now.” as she struggles with the boat hook to get the spring line neatly on a cleat on the dock. Yep she is stretched out pretty far as she hits the open gate and I heard SPLASH, ‘MAN OVERBOARD’. The Asians are astonished. So, is Susan. So, am I and Carter and Nelson. Luckily for Susan she didn’t hit anything going in and the water is very shallow. Also there is a ladder attached to our dock and Susan climbed out of the water with one of her croc shoes in her hand and the other being fetched by one of the Chinese tourists.
We get away from the dock and off to Gilberts we head. Susan heads for the shower to wash the salt water off and get cleaned up.
OK, so there needs to be some more training in the “going forward on the spring line” for the captain and crew. AND never forget to shut the gate!
The cruise to Gilberts was wonderful. Partly cloudy, hardly any breeze, and short sleeve temperatures.
About 3PM We docked rather smartly at Gilbert’s. No one fell in. The boat went to the dock perfectly and we all celebrated with something to drink.

Today’s Picture is an iguana that meandered down the dock. ( You thought I was going to show you a picture of Susan soaking wet. We were too busy getting her out of the water and safely back on board to take any embarrassing pictures. )


Comments