Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Friday, February 2, 2018

Passage - Allans-Pensacola Cay - Orchid Bay Marina, Great Guana Cay
38 NM 7.6 Engine Hours
8:31 AM Underway
2:44 PM Anchorage, Allans-Pensacola Cay

A lazy easy going day today. Anchor up and, we motored at a slower speed today as we are not trying to get anywhere fast. We only have to go out the Whale Cay channel into the Atlantic for a few miles and then come in around the other side back into the sea of Abaco. It was a beautiful windless day and the water without ripples made it easy to see the bottom. It was fun seeing the anchor chain laying along the bottom and seeing the anchor on the bottom. We also watched the shadow of our boat on the bottom as we were traveling. I saw a nurse shark and a few fish swimming as we made our way past Green Turtle Cay.

The Whale inlet was next and it was certainly rolling - not breaking or dangerous at all. It was beautiful. NONE of the pictures I post look as good as what you see with your eyes. You can enhance pictures etc. But your eyes / brain work better than any camera. After coming back into the sea of Abaco we had our destination of Great Guana straight ahead. Great Guana is one of our favorite cays. Of course the famous Nippers bar is here. But the vibe of this cay is different and we like talking with the locals.

It’s now Saturday, and we had a farmers market here at Orchid Bay Marina. This farmers market is like one we have never seen before. Made from scratch bloody marys with clamato juice. The bartender flipped bottles as he was making our drinks. We bought FRESH hydroponically and organically grown spring mix and some nice looking tomatoes. Thrown in was sour orange fruit and green pepper for free. The Sir Eden Farm has quite an operation here on Great Guana with 30 acres and a reverse osmosis water operation.

We were going to Hope Town today after the farmers market. But, the wind is up and we like Guana. So, we are staying another day. Susan bought a small bag from a local crafter here. Her name is Uni, and she is from Norway, visited here 8 years ago and married a Bahamian guy. She was so much fun to talk too and just loves Great Guana. She and her husband may visit and take a tour of Liquid Therapy. We were talking about the fresh water issue here in the Bahamas. She and her husband collect water off their roof into a cistern as many do around here. She, says bird poop on the roof settles to the bottom of their cistern. They never get sick from that. I get sick thinking abut that.

Jumping backwards in time, last night we had drinks and ate at a very small bar called Kidds Cove. We had conch spaghetti! Very good. We had a characterizer of a bar tender, a local playing music through the bluetooth from her phone. She was annoyed, the streaming service kept buffering. I asked could I play a few things I recorded? I did. So, now Emma Bailee’s version of “Royals”, Bill Zickafoos and The Continentals’ version of “You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” featuring Roger Carroll, and the Zassoff Brother’s live recording from Lakeside Tavern of “Don’t Worry About Me” have been played internationally in the Bahamas. My music didn’t buffer because it was stored on my phone. After playing those, I relinquished the DJ music back to the local girl. Her music still buffered from time to time. But she had a cool play list.

It’s nice finally being in the Abacos with Elbow Cay, Hope Town, only 10 miles away. Sunday we will make that passage and will be operating in and out of Hope Town Marina until the first part of March.

Today’s picture is sunset about 1 hour before we anchored at Allans-Pensacola Cay.


Comments