Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 4 of our Pirates Festival Cruise

Day 4 Sunday 10-19-14
6.5 miles Top Rack Marina - Ocean Marina . We moved back to Portsmouth because we wanted to walk around Old Town. We had very gusty conditions and knew that docking could be as issue when we got to Portsmouth. The cruise back we had 20kt to my guess 30 knot gusts. One gust actually heeled the boat slightly. We have a new full enclosure that is kind of like having a small sail. Can’t wait to try a following wind and see if I can cut the motor off. Ha. We requested assistance for docking when we reached Ocean Marina and got the same slip assignment that we had the other day. So, at least I knew where I was going and that the finger pier at the slip was downwind. So, once in the slip the wind would blow us to the finger pier of the slip. Susan rigged the fenders on the starboard side and I tried to turn the boat upwind into the fairway to the slip. The boat didn’t want to turn. I had to add more power than I like just to get the bow into the wind. We went past the slip, I turned the wheel to the starboard and gunned the engine slightly to start the bow to move through the wind. I thought we might get blown past the slip sideways. ( It happens ). But I was also close to the other side of the fairway boats. Got the stern lined up diagonally and headed to get the stern into the slip as the wind was starting to rapidly rotate the bow around. I backed in swiftly as the boat paralleled the finger pier and the fenders did their job stopping us against a jolt as the hull met the finger pier. I straightened the wheel and a small gust forward to slow our sternway movement. Although this was textbook docking, it doesn’t always work out. The most important thing to have in mind is what to do when you have a missed approach. How to not hit other boats piers etc as the wind has it’s way with you. Or, heaven forbid the engine cuts off. I have all of those things in my mind whenever we are maneuvering in close quarters. Oh yes, we had a wonderful walk around Old Town Portsmouth. I put the houses right up there with Charleston, SC. Very nice walk. Today’s picture is Liquid Therapy in the slip at Ocean Marine Yacht Center.


Comments