Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 6 Monday October 26, 2015

Didn't move today. And will not until next Monday November 2, 2015

Last night we were asleep AND THEN THE WIND BLEW.
Last night late we were awakened to the thump of the boat hitting the dock. That is not supposed to happen. And I take pride in properly tying up our boat. So, what went wrong. The spring lines were actually stretching as they should in a strong wind. I use double braided nylon lines for most of my lines. But I use stretchy 3 strand nylon for the fore and aft spring lines because I can pull them tight and the boat will stay in one place. Then when I place the fenders, they stay strategically between the boat and the dock pilings. Unless, the wind is so strong it stretches the spring lines far enough to let the fender miss the piling. Well, how about 15 - 25kts of wind! The forecast came true. In the middle of the night it really started blowing. And, yes, now I have britework to touch up. But it's not fun in the middle of the night to have to get up and adjust dock lines.

The only thing I could think of worse is to have been at anchor when the wind picked up. My anchor would have not dragged. PROBABLY. But the idiot in the anchorage that would have not anchored properly would probably drag into our boat while he was sleeping soundly and I was on anchor watch.
Now there is nothing better than a nice night at anchor. The boat pivots about the anchor in response to the wind and tides. A nice gentle breeze or dead calm is nice. But with 15-25kts my anchor might hold and someone else's might not. Either way I'M NOT GONNA SLEEP.
It's been blowing 15 - 20 and higher gusts all day. I did put a double braid nylon spring line on in addition to the 3 strand just to keep the boat from straining with the sustained winds. OK enough about the wind.

We did a short walk two times today. It's Monday and out of season and windy and most places are closed. We found a few things to look at. And of course visited WOVV. But today was a down day. No boat operation. We checked out the golf cart rental and might rent tomorrow. Most things are in walking distance. But, both of us are having some walking issues. We needed to mail something and found the Post office was quite a distance and that there were no mail boxes to drop mail in. Ocracoke is a PO Box only town and everyone has to go to the post office to mail and pick up mail. One shop owner offered to drop our outgoing mail at the PO for us.
That's about it for today.
Todays picture is the ferry offloading at sunset.


Comments