Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 9 Thursday October 29, 2015

Morning broke and the wind rain and lightning had stopped. It was a pretty morning. Nice temperature. People were crawling out of their boat awnings and seeing that yes the sun could shine and the wind could stop.
Susan and I decided today would be a day of touring. So, swiftly or not actually that fast, we hopped into our golf cart and headed for the Ocracoke Coffee. Nice group of people hanging around there and the barista seemed to have already had too much caffeine with the sound system sounding more like an 11PM bar. Susan struck a conversation up with a school teacher doing lesson plans. I just took in the different conversations. Two women talking about never getting the return on some investment like so and so. I could have put my two cents worth in, and didn’t. We heard there was another presidential debate. But knew nothing about it. That’s kind of nice not having TV. And since all of you know we only listen to WOVV, there is NO news on the hours etc. They will do current events for your group. But that is as close to news as we have had since getting to Ocracoke.
After the coffee we rode up and down different streets and finally stopped at the British Cemetery. A U-boat in WWII sank a British ship and bodies washed ashore and were buried here. The Brits were trying to help the US as we were losing so many merchant ships to u-boats. Here is a link to more of the story http://www.offbeattravel.com/british-cemetery-outerbanks.html

After the cemetery we pretty much followed the map all over Ocracoke and I took a few pictures of the lighthouse and decided it might be a good picture at sunset and planned to ride back over there. We went to the grocery and of course I always have a project that leads me to a hardware store. We had fun chatting with everyone we meet. Ocracoke has NO commercial zoning. So, no McDonalds or chain things are here. Just local hardware and restaurants. A very you buy “local” atmosphere. We love it.
The docks have gotten more crowded with boats arriving for the pirate jamboree and we all jumped as one of the pirate ships fired a cannon before entering the harbor. It’s getting fun around here.

I touched up a few bruises of britework along the rub rail. I’m pretty good at docking sometimes and sometimes not. But, touching up is not very difficult and usually sparks a conversation. HA.

Susan did some clothes shopping and I sat in the cart people watching. I’m wondering where she is going to stow the new clothes as we haven’t put away all our clothes yet. It is kind of hard packing for cold and warm weather. I stuffed bunch of clothes into a duffle and stored them out of sight at least. When we finally get to warm weather I’ll be moving the cold clothes to storage as well.
We returned to the lighthouse to take sunset pictures. 88 of them as the light was constantly changing. The sunset lit up one side of the lighthouse in pink and you could follow that disappearing as the sun got further and further below the horizon.

We left the lighthouse and ate dinner at THE FLYING MELON. I had drum and Susan had cobia, both fresh caught. It’s nice having what they are catching that has never been frozen. The Flying Melon is highly rated and was very busy. We enjoyed chatting with couple from Raleigh at a close table that had eaten there two nights. They think it’s it’s the nicest restaurant on the island. But all the restaurants are great. There is a very highly rated food truck too. We can’t eat at all of them. Starting to feel the pants getting tighter now.
Well that’s enough for day 9. Today’s picture is the lighthouse at sunset.


Comments