Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 19 Sunday November 8, 2015

Weather delay - 25-30kt winds. Hey we don’t care. We are in Morehead City and it’s pretty good here.
And, it doesn’t look good for traveling tomorrow. Heavy rain, low visibility. We don’t care!

Now today I felt like I was back at work with Information Technology. I have sophisticated router that can load balance and lots of other geeky things that make me glad I’m retired. However, I like fixing things proper for my boat. For you I.T. people. I have a CradlePoint router that is a REAL router that can load balance 4 WAN connections and two independent LANs. It makes us have a really fast LAN. On board we have 2 MacBooks, 2 iPhone 6+s ( with Verizon unlimited data ) an iPad and a Vesper Vision WIFI AIS transponder that multiplexes our Garmin Chart plotter, sonar and any other marine stuff and sends it over WIFI to all our APP devices. Today I added a WIFI camera that I can do lots of things with. Of course it had to have a static address, special port # DNS forwarding service. Or, in other words I.T configuration HELL. It can email me if it detects someone on our boat when we are away and take pictures of the pirates. I can also put it in the engine room and look at the vacuum gauge on the fuel filters. Or, use it to record those boaters that are passing us in a dangerous manner. Well enough of that stuff. But, hey that’s what you do on a rainy windy down day. Or, you could have slept, or read a good book. I’m just not built that way.

Susan organized some more. Cooked meals washed dishes. We have been eating out TOO much. There is always something to do. We are never BORED.

And then, just at dusk, the dock master brought us some fresh king mackerel. We gave him a glass of wine. Not an even trade for sure. But such a nice guy. He indicated we probably should not move tomorrow due to the visibility issues with heavy rain and fog. He might not know the term “spatial disorientation”, but I sure know it from flying. In a fog (cloud), or heavy rain it is hard to keep a straight course. When you are going straight, you feel like you are turning and you turn to straighten up which causes you to really turn. Your mind can really screw you up when navigating by instruments alone. Killed many pilots. And, it’s not fun operating a boat in the AICW with strong winds and cross currents at inlets either especially in low visibility. So, we might just stay put tomorrow morning.

You know I really like North Carolina folks. Just down right nice. So, we are having king mackerel tonight that the dock master just brought us. I might just move here.

Today’s picture is the king mackerel on foil. YUM


Comments