Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 91 Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Bayside Marina, Islamorada, FL

Technology Upgrade day.

Yes, technology moves on and I drag my feet to let everyone else have trouble with the new products and updates before I jump in. In the world of technology, being the first kid on the block is not a good idea. But, it is time for Liquid Therapy to upgrade.
We have had intermittent Internet connectivity and no TV at many of the marinas. Most of the time we can survive without Internet or TV. But when the weather pins us down it's nice to see the weather on the local TV stations and watch a few of our favorite shows. We have a TV antenna and most of the way down from Virginia to Islamorada we have had TV. But, where we are now, we just have two Spanish channels. ( For the Spanish stations I tried turning on the closed captioning thinking the words might be in English. Nope. ) A few marinas have cable. Most have WIFI that is marginal. We keep running out of data allowance on Susan's iPad and then it's another $100.
So, off to Florida City for a T-mobile hotspot that takes care of TV and UN-LIMITED data for a very good price, and NO contract. I've never watched TV (Netflix, etc. ) over the Internet, because back home we have measured data over satellite. You have to have an unlimited source and it has to be fast. T-mobile is amazing, at least at this location. For you geeks I'm getting 9 MBPS down and 10 upstream. Jonathan gave us his Apple TV he no longer uses and we now have Internet streaming TV as well as the fastest Internet I've ever experienced on the boat. When we get back home, if this thing works at our house, I'll be shutting off Directv and HughesNet. Those bills are huge and we are saving lots of money as they are shut off while we are on our trip.

Today's picture is Susan and Me at the World Wide Sportsman complex.. (Thanks Eric www.ebeare.com for the picture.)


Comments