Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 163 Thursday, March 31, 2016

Passage - Brunswick Landing Marina, Brunswick, GA, to Morningstar Marina at Golden Isles, St. Simons, GA
9:56 AM Underway
11:37 AM Morningstar Marina ,St. Simons, GA
3.2 engine hours 11 miles

It’s Saturday Morning as I write this catch up since Thursday. Thursday’s short run was in 18 to 20 knot winds. About 15 knots as we got underway and building. Easy run down the Brunswick River and a little iffy crossing the St. Simons inlet. Nothing scary. We docked just fine with guidance from the excellent dock master. Because of predicted several days of very stormy weather, we pulled into Morningstar Marina at Golden Isles. We are anxious to get home, but Mother Nature keeps us in the Deep South! Perhaps an omen?

After we docked, I checked the starboard tank to see if any fuel had sloshed out into the bilge. No fuel had spilled, so I’m good to make it back home without replacing the fill hose. If we need fuel, I’ll simply fill the port fuel tank and transfer some to the starboard. In theory I have enough to get home without needing fuel. I will probably take advantage of some of the really cheap fuel stops in NC and Chesapeake. The cheapest price I’m seeing is currently $1.60 / gallon in Chesapeake, VA. On our trip four years ago we were paying $3.80 - $4.25.

We took a walk about the Morningstar Marina and made reservations at the on site Coastal Kitchen Restaurant. We appreciate it when after a day, or half day of travel, we can eat at a very close, quality restaurant. We considered renting a car for the 3 days here but have elected to ‘Uber’ for our travel instead. Uber is really nice for those of you curious about the independent car service. Jonathan and Eric introduced us to it in Miami. The cool thing about Uber is that all arrangements, including payment AND tip, are conducted via the Uber App. No exchange of money. Friday, we took Uber into the ‘village’ of St. Simons. This Uber driver cut off the meter, gave us a nice tour, suggested popular lunch spots and refused any tip! He was a retired high school english teacher.

It has been so much fun to meet nice and interesting people, EVERYWHERE we have been! In Georgia, though, they are sweet and very polite, always saying “mam” and “sir” to us. We walked about the main street of the town, down to the dock overlooking the St. Simons sound. Facing south, we could see the Atlantic to the east and the Brunswick bridge to the west. Very nice town with lots of nice shops and restaurants. For lunch we had a very tasty Bloody Mary AND the BEST sandwich of our entire trip, at Palm Coast Coffee. This Georgia shrimp sandwich was made with their ‘gigantic shrimp’ salad, best bun ever, and Mediterranean orzo salad! We were ‘gifted’ a nice square of house made granola bar to eat while cruising! This place reminded us a little of the Ashland Coffee and Tea, as it was an intimate music venue, also. The whole experience was ‘to die for’, as they say in the South (I think)! Thank you to Uber Driver, William, for this suggested spot for lunch!! We ‘ubered' back to the marina and had a relaxing evening on board, planning our next few ‘stops’ and making a grocery list.


Saturday there is a boat show at the marina. So, that will be fun. We might Uber back to the town and then to Harris Teeter and back. Sunday we are going to be running about 60 miles and anchoring out. Monday we plan to make it to Isle Of Hope Marina, near Savannah.


Today’s picture is Susan playing with her food at “BASIL AND THAI” restaurant.


Comments