Ya Ha Ha Ting

The fun times aboard Liquid Therapy. With - Susan and Brooke Smith

Day 185 Friday, April 22, 2016

Passage Manteo Waterfront Marina to Coinjock, NC
8:09 AM Underway
12:24 PM Boarded by Coast Guard for Vessel Safety Check
12:50 PM Coast Guard disembarked
2:!9 Docked Midway Marina, Coinjock, NC
7.2 engine hours 43 miles

Our scheduled run today was not too long. We thought about trying to go 75 miles to Great Bridge, but that is a long day. We aren’t in THAT big a hurry to get back home. The wind should give us a push. But, soon after getting underway, the wind was not out of the south like it was supposed to be. It was more like west or even northwest. After running north on the Roanoke Sound, rounding the northern end of Roanoke Island, I stayed in the lee of Durant Island to get a better and more comfortable angle for the 10 mile run across the Albemarle Sound to the North River. That thought worked! When I turned to head across the Albemarle to the North River to rejoin the AICW, we had a following sea hitting our starboard quarter. Not a bad ride at all.

A few miles up the river, we were hailed over the radio by the Coast Guard for a Vessel Safety Check. We had one of these USCG checks before, 4 years ago. I don’t know if they like boarding us because the boat is a classic and they just want to see it, or the name ‘LIQUID THERAPY’ seems like a boat they should board. Maybe we are just slow and easy to catch. HA.
We had a nice bunch of guys in the boarding party. Seemed like it was a training mission as they were telling one guy how to do some parts of the inspection. We were fine. It still rattles you at first. One Coastie asked how long a line I had on our throw ring. As far as I knew, there is no line requirement on the throw ring. I told him about 25’ with a strobe light attached to the other end of the throw ring line. And, then he said, there was no requirement for a vessel our size. I don’t think there is any requirement to have a line on a throw ring period. You need to be able to throw a ring to a person for them to hold on to. You will be more accurate by NOT HOLDING ON TO A LINE ATTACHED. If a life ring has a line on it, it should float and then you could grasp the line with a boat hook when you come back to pick up the “man overboard”. The Coasties were very nice and we enjoyed their boarding. Of course we were passed by several boats that were wondering why Liquid Therapy had a ‘blue light special’ going on.
We thanked the Coast Guard for all they do as they left.

Today’s picture is from a few days ago of a shrimp boat in front of Liquid Therapy in our torpedo sights. Fire torpedo one.


Comments