Sailing with the Andersons

17 May 2015 | Great Barrier Reef
15 May 2015 | Yulara, Australia
10 May 2015 | Dingo Fence North of Coober Pedy
06 May 2015 | Coober Pedy, Australia
30 April 2015 | Melbourne, Australia
29 April 2015 | Sydney Harbor, Australia
13 November 2014 | Coral Sea
02 October 2014 | Tanna Island, Vanuatu
28 September 2014 | Mamanuca's, Fiji
25 August 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
12 August 2014 | Kandavu
05 August 2014 | Suva, Fiji
04 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
03 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
22 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
20 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
18 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
17 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
16 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga)

Friendly People EVERYWHERE!

15 September 2009 | Ventura, Ca
Lisa Anderson
Update #3

Awwww...the joys of boat ownership! We are quickly learning that anything that can go wrong...will go wrong! Mind you, we still have it pretty good, but this is a real stretch for me. I keep thinking...God has something big he is trying to teach me, so I'm trying to go with it. The problem is...there is no place TO GO WITH IT! A few times yesterday I tried to go for a walk, 406 steps to the bathroom, or 392 to the laundry facilities here at the marina, just to cool off a bit... cry... whine to myself etc...BUT NOOOO! There are friendly people EVERYWHERE! Making the “trying to maintain a low profile” thing really hard. They’ll invite me over to their boat, or they have a really cute dog that is licking me, or they're telling me what a beautiful boat we have, and I JUST WANT TO PUNCH THEM! But I can't... because they are all so dang nice. AND HELPFUL! Boaters will stop whatever they are doing to help you. So, yes, I stopped and helped a nice gentleman carry his new, leaking dinghy up the dock ramp, so he could return it. He kept saying, "Are you sure you can do this?" I reassured him that I was stronger than I looked, when in reality I was so angry at the time I could have moved a mountain! I believe we are now life long friends. He has even offered to crew for us on the Baha Ha-Ha. (More on that another time.) Soooo, after a completely disastrous day, with workers on the boat since 8:30 AM, Rudy, my new friend, shows up with a glass of wine and his grandchild, a perfect age for Ben, and we all talk for hours. Ben and Austin became instant friends, enjoying dinner together and then trying to catch crabs with these little hooks they would tie on their fishing line, and bits of mussel that they would peel off the dock, and stomp on to get the meat as their bait. Needless to say, the crab won every time. So, that's how it is here. You have visitors off and on all the time. Whether you have just had a marital discussion (Ha!)...or haven't brushed your teeth, or done the dishes, or put on your makeup... it's just the way it is. God is trying to get me to lighten up, huh?!

So, let me back up here, and catch you up on our glorious past week. Last weekend was Pirate Days at Ventura Harbor. Ben was soooo into it! He dressed up each day, and we would watch the tall ship pull in with faux dead prisoners tied up on a line, shooting their canons along the way. It was very exciting. (As one neighbor put it, "Didn't you notice...we live on Main Street in Disneyland!") We rode the dinghy over and enjoyed all of the festivities. I saw more Jack Sparrows (why is he so sexy?), and yes Larry thoroughly enjoyed the winches too! Ben had a week long sailing class at the Ventura Yacht Club. He had the best time and it was so cute to stand on the back of our boat and watch him sail by in his little Laser and wave. His last day he capsized right in front of us, struggling, he flipped the boat back over (screaming the whole time about how cold it was) then says, "Oh snap, now I have to bail!". The instructor motors over, throws him a bucket and tells him to get started. Excellent life lesson there I'm sure. So, with Ben being gone from 9 - 4:30 each day, Larry and I thought we would get so much done, (or at least...ya know!) But, noooo! Larry got this urge to start to try things, such as the washer/dryer machine. BIG MISTAKE! We got so excited because at first it looked so good. We couldn't believe this piece of crap looking thing actually worked...but then... it didn't drain. Hmmmm...so over the next 24 hours it slowly drained in our engine room. Okay, so we have a little water mess, no biggy. Now all the men here LOVE this. They can spend hours with Larry trouble shooting (or shooting something, I don't know)...but as they do this they find other leaks. And they try other things, and then I yell to Larry, "Hey...did you just turn something on?" He runs down, and finds the relief valve on the hot water heater has blown, frying the electronics on it. It was quite impressive, and hot and steamy too! (I thought we had truly landed in Hell!) In the meantime, in pulling up the floor boards over one of our water tanks, our fears came true that we have a leak in one of our holding tanks. That's kind of a big deal. Now Larry, in his good naturedness, just keeps saying, "It ain't cancer." I just keep asking him..."Are ya livin the dream baby?" (I think I'd better stop saying that because he's gonna hit me one of these times!) Needless to say, we now have a new, beautiful hot water heater that works! A whole12 gallons, woo hoo! (Can't wait to see the plumbers bill.) Everyone says, what costs $100.00 on a house, costs $1000.00 on a boat. So, we are pretty bruised and beat up this weekend (they call them "boat bites"), and feel like we still have not accomplished anything towards our goal of leaving the end of October, (we haven't even sailed this dang vessel yet!) but we'll either make it or not. It's the journey right?


Ahoy matey...'til next time!

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. Hebrews 11:1
Comments
Vessel Name: Lisa Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55 Cutter Rigged Sloop
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Larry, Lisa & Ben
About:
Welcome to The Lisa Kay! We have planned to purchase a sailboat and cruise the world’s oceans for over 15 years. We just didn’t know how, what, when or where. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lisakay/
Lisa Kay's Photos - Main
25 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
Tour of an underground hotel, opal mine and an underground church.
27 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
July 2014
39 Photos | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 2 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2013
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 December 2012
This gallery goes with "They Like White Meat Don't They?"
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2012
27 Photos
Created 21 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
46 Photos
Created 10 July 2012
70 Photos
Created 24 June 2012
51 Photos
Created 24 April 2012
Misc shots of our Carnival experience in Panama City, Panama.
34 Photos
Created 24 March 2012
Photos of our trip into the Darien province of Panama.
90 Photos
Created 21 February 2012
63 Photos
Created 3 February 2012
46 Photos
Created 27 January 2012
38 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 18 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 16 November 2011
Halloween at Marina Papagayo and moving to Bahia Ballena
20 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
Pictures from our visit home
59 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
Shots selected by Ben of his time in Costa Rica
38 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
Pura Vida Costa Rica
27 Photos
Created 27 August 2011
Our trip to the capitol city of Managua, Masaya Volcano, Granada, Mombacho Volcano, Puenta Teonoste, and a zipline adventure.
56 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
Our sailing into Nicaragua then hiking and surfing Cerro Negro Volcano!!!
34 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2011
These are shots of our inland trip to an Eco Lodge at the Mayan ruins near Paleque, 2 waterfalls, and a trip through Sumidero Canyon.
53 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
Tubin behind the dinghy
37 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2011