Sailing with the Andersons

17 May 2015 | Great Barrier Reef
15 May 2015 | Yulara, Australia
10 May 2015 | Dingo Fence North of Coober Pedy
06 May 2015 | Coober Pedy, Australia
30 April 2015 | Melbourne, Australia
29 April 2015 | Sydney Harbor, Australia
13 November 2014 | Coral Sea
02 October 2014 | Tanna Island, Vanuatu
28 September 2014 | Mamanuca's, Fiji
25 August 2014 | South Pacific Ocean
12 August 2014 | Kandavu
05 August 2014 | Suva, Fiji
04 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
03 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
22 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
20 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
18 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
17 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
16 July 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga)

Time to Go

04 August 2014 | Fulaga (Vulaga), Fiji
Lisa Anderson
Alfreddy made this bowl for us with shells from Fulaga
Monday, August 4,2014

Time To Go

We've had a twenty-four hour weather window handed to us, meaning 15-20 knots of wind and 4 foot seas, to shoot over to the capital of Fiji, Suva, on the island of Viti Levu. If we don't pull out at this time it looks like the next possibility won't be for another week, and after our three weeks in Fulaga - as much as we have cherished it - we are itchy to move on...and buy food...and toilet paper...and go to a restaurant...and maybe get internet?

The weather has really been a bit of a downer. We've only gotten in the water here three times! It is so beautiful and the turquoise color is so inviting and we know there is amazing snorkeling and diving at the pass but we just cannot get out there in this wind! The few times we have snorkeled we've worn our Lycra suits under our 3mm wetsuits just to try and stay warm.

The islanders have warmly done their best to keep us all busy; weaving on Mondays for the ladies, net fishing on Saturdays, various get togethers - always with lots of kava, food, and music, hikes to hidden caves with ancient human skulls and bones *(not sure if these are here due to the earlier practice of cannibalism in this country), church on Sundays etc...and all us boaters are very clever at trying to give back in some way - doing a presentation at the school, playing with the kids, or making repairs in the village. Any donation of food and goods has been greatly appreciated - they even like our empty bottles in which they will re-use for many things, including making coconut oil. We have fallen in love with our hosts, Alfreddy and Bale, who have taken such good care of us! Bale makes a delicious crab curry and roti, which keeps Ben very happy. Ben even spent an afternoon learning to wood carve with Alfreddy, as the men of Fulaga are known for their carvings. Other afternoons the two would go out and fish. We had our host family to the boat for dinner one night, serving them lasagne - something Alfreddy had only had one other time in his life. He brought us the most beautiful bowl he had carved as a gift, and then proceeded to fill it with perfect, shiny sea shells they had picked up on the beach.

*Cannibalism was alive and well in Fiji 'til the mid to late 19th century. Cannibalising an enemy was considered the ultimate revenge. In a book I am reading now, "Life In Feejee - Five Years Among the Cannibals" by Mary Davis Wallis, wife of Captain Benjamin Wallis - who ran a dangerous but lucrative trade in beche-de-mer ( a sea cucumber that the locals are still collecting to this day, drying them and selling them to the Chinese) on his ship Zotoff in 1844-1849, she gives many gruesome accounts of the heathenism practiced at the time. Not only does she write of the numerous savage murders, but she gives details of how chiefs wives, after the death of the chief, volunteer to be strangled so they can be joined again in the afterlife. Or how a child is fried instead of baked before being eaten. Or how children are often given the hands to be consumed. Or how quite often people are thrown on the fire whilst still alive. Or sometimes limbs are cut off a victim and they are either forced to watch them being eaten or they are forced to eat their own. Her tales go on and on...I'm not sure if she was a foolish woman to stick around that long or if she was incredibly brave. But the one thing that is clear is her love for God, and by befriending the Wesleyan Mission families that were living in Fiji at the time, she had quite an experience. Larry recently asked a local friend in Fulaga, how she felt about Christianity being brought/forced into Fiji. Her reply was, it had brought peace. The people were no longer fierce and warring.

It is extremely painful to leave a place like this. There are other friends in other countries that we have made along our journey, that as sad as we are to leave them, we know there is a good chance we will see them again. But when you visit a place such as this...chances are, not so much. Although, there is a vessel that recently pulled in that was actually here twenty five years ago, with their two young daughters at that time. I know, however, that this is a one time circumnavigation for Larry and I. Now for Ben, who knows....

Our farewell consisted of Bale's wonderful cooking, a dozen or so of the village men with their guitar, ukulele, loli (a wooden drum), and kava bowl - singing farewell songs for us and drinking grog. Gifts were exchanged and it was bittersweet. As darkness fell, we stopped at Tui Fulaga's ( the chief) home to give a thank you letter, say goodbye, and another offering of kava. It seemed the right thing to do, after his village had looked after us as one of their own for the past three weeks. He was deeply touched.

The following morning was a flurry (this was what Larry was afraid of!). He had made a commitment to the chief of the third village that we would transport a kava bowl that had been carved in the village to Suva, our next destination. Of course we still did not have the bowl and we needed to lift the anchor at a certain time in order to make it out of the reef pass at slack tide, 10:30. We went ashore at 9:00, and there was Bale and Alfreddy with a huge bundle of fresh cabbage and frangipani flowers for me, clams for us to freeze and give to relatives in Nadi next month, and more tears and hugs. Batai, the village nurse, had work envelopes and a gift for his mother to be delivered in Suva. And yes, the chief showed up with not only one but five giant kava bowls and three huge bags of dried fish! Our heads were spinning with all the requests and directions and phone numbers! I thought Larry was going to blow a gasket! We were very happy, don't get me wrong, to help out and transport. Could you imagine in this day and age, living and feeling so remote. I could only hope that someone could deliver a letter or message for me if I needed it.

Alas, all worked out as usual, and the anchor begrudgingly lifted off the Fulaga sea floor. Alfreddy and Bale had waited patiently on shore, waving and blowing kisses all the way until we were out of sight...excuse me, I have to go and cry now.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lisa Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55 Cutter Rigged Sloop
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Larry, Lisa & Ben
About:
Welcome to The Lisa Kay! We have planned to purchase a sailboat and cruise the world’s oceans for over 15 years. We just didn’t know how, what, when or where. [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/lisakay/
Lisa Kay's Photos - Main
25 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
21 Photos
Created 10 May 2015
Tour of an underground hotel, opal mine and an underground church.
27 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
July 2014
39 Photos | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 2 September 2014
8 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
5 Photos
Created 19 June 2013
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 11 December 2012
This gallery goes with "They Like White Meat Don't They?"
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2012
27 Photos
Created 21 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 7 August 2012
46 Photos
Created 10 July 2012
70 Photos
Created 24 June 2012
51 Photos
Created 24 April 2012
Misc shots of our Carnival experience in Panama City, Panama.
34 Photos
Created 24 March 2012
Photos of our trip into the Darien province of Panama.
90 Photos
Created 21 February 2012
63 Photos
Created 3 February 2012
46 Photos
Created 27 January 2012
38 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 18 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 16 November 2011
Halloween at Marina Papagayo and moving to Bahia Ballena
20 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
Pictures from our visit home
59 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
Shots selected by Ben of his time in Costa Rica
38 Photos
Created 21 September 2011
Pura Vida Costa Rica
27 Photos
Created 27 August 2011
Our trip to the capitol city of Managua, Masaya Volcano, Granada, Mombacho Volcano, Puenta Teonoste, and a zipline adventure.
56 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
Our sailing into Nicaragua then hiking and surfing Cerro Negro Volcano!!!
34 Photos
Created 10 June 2011
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2011
These are shots of our inland trip to an Eco Lodge at the Mayan ruins near Paleque, 2 waterfalls, and a trip through Sumidero Canyon.
53 Photos
Created 6 June 2011
Tubin behind the dinghy
37 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
39 Photos
Created 24 March 2011