Bookmark and Share
Sailing with the Andersons
Wine Tasting in Mexico?
Lisa Anderson
01/20/2010, Puerto Salina, Mexico

Here we are, heading back up to San Diego. We have spent a little over two weeks in wonderful Mexico. Puerto Salina and Ensenada have been our destinations. We have shared time with old friends and made new friends as well. The people in Mexico couldn't be nicer, even if we couldn't understand each other sometimes! (Why in the world did I not take Spanish in highschool?!) It's amazing how far hand signals can get you!
So, we survived our first immigration check in, and our first drink of water from our water maker. (Let me tell you, that first sip is scary, but more on that later!). Raoul, from the Puerto Salina marina, was kind enough to come with us. Ensenada is about a thirty minute drive, along gorgeous coastline, south of Puerto Salina. There was much paper work to fill out (and I might add, none of it is in English!), and many different windows to go to, waiting in line each time. You would often have to go to window 1, then to window 2, then back to window 1, then to 3, then back to 1 catch my drift. And each time, they would have to re-enter all your information. Sometimes you just stand there while their doing something else (didn't look important) then eventually they look up, to help you. Of course you keep a smile on your face the entire time (who needs lunch and a potty break really anyway?!). Then at the end of all of this, you stand in line to push the "red light, green light". Phew...we got a green light! Lunch here we come! Raoul took us to a fish restaurant where his brother is the chef. And here it starts...Lisa having to politely eat something that is offered to me, all the while keeping a smile on my face. I think it was called something like Fishermans' Stew, or something like that. All I know is I could see the big pieces of octopus (suction cups and all) sticking out of an orange broth, and they told me it would make me "strong like bull"! (My father would have loved this). Thank God for beer! And lot's of lime (helps on everything!). Actually, our lunch ended up being delicious! Grilled white fish with lots of garlic, lemon and butter, salad and rice. (No we haven't been afraid to eat anything yet and have not gotten sick.) We have had more of the most wonderful guacamole the last couple of week s! Two days later, Renae, Dave, our new friend Heidi (an Aussie), Larry, Ben and I, all piled into our rental car (Dodge Charger), and raced out to the wine country (Valle de Guadelupe). Yes, it was tight (I won't even tell you where I sat), but...hey, it's can do things like that here. (God how did we ever survive growing up with no seatbelts or helmets!) It was the most amazing day! We tasted at two fabulous wineries. We were the only ones there. The second being the most fascinating. It is owned by three women, and is right at their house. There were several houses around on the hillside, all eclectic and artsy (a la Beth and Laurie from Niles sort of cool). The grounds were beautiful and emmaculate, huge boulders sprinkled off in the distance that had to have been put there from another time (reminded us of The Baths in the BVI's). The lady of the house was not feeling well but there was a gentleman there (an artist who was firing his tiles in the kiln for a huge wall he has been commissioned to do for Ensenada). His name was Eduardo, but his artist name is Luna. We went into this cool little cave for our tasting, also tasting their homemade olive oil. They also made a sort of healing tea from olive leaves, oregano, and lemon (Tammy F., I thought of you!), but they were out of this. Not only did we purchase wine (of course), we also purchased two beautiful plates (Ben buying one of them with his own money, a fish plate to serve all of his "catch" on!). Then we got a tour of Eduardo's workshop, and he demonstrated making for us one of the tiles,( out of the 885 he has to make) for this wall in Ensenada. It was incredible, and the best part of all (for Ben), was he was given a nice ball of clay to shape and play with. Now there was an alterior motive on Ben's part, because he found out somewhere that you can build a bomb out of clay and batteries and something else. (He's become obsessed with guns and explosives!) Don't worry...we're watching him closely! After that, we went to lunch at a beautiful restaurant called Laja. It was like being at the best of the best restaurant in Napa, but we were the only ones there. The food was spectacular, (Brian you would have loved it!), Ben had two servings of foie gras ravioli, (I begged forgiveness from PETA). And then we went home, sober (at least Larry was) and stuffed. To top the day off, once arriving back at our boats, we jumped in our dinghy's for a mile or two ride out to watch the dolphins feed, and the beautiful Baja sunset. Yes, this was one of those days that you are reminded of why you are cruising. The highs are extremely high, the lows extremely low. I have come to figure out, that cruising is hugely bi-polar. Needless to say, we didn't see dolphins that day, but have every time since. They are the most adorable creatures. Once again I'll say, how could anyone in their right mind intentionally hurt them? It is so cool, racing in our dinghy, and them swimming along side, or crisscrossing in front, leaping out in the air every once in a while, splashing you! They turn on their sides looking at you, smiling. They are so close I am literally inches from touching them. Sometimes we just sit quietly watching them all work together swimming in circles, making the fish all ball up and head towards the surface, all the while the dolphins feasting and the birds getting a free meal as well. At times like these, I could not imagine a better way of raising our nine year old son. Speaking of which, I had the brilliant idea of hiring Heidi to be Ben's tutor whilst we were parked at Puerto Salina. She has a degree in marine biology and comes from a family of teachers, and she is excellent with Ben (I think she is his first true crush!). His time with her has been invaluable, and they did cool things like pick out a huge piece of kelp from the ocean to study. So needless to say, I'm sorry that we left, earlier than expected to get up to San Diego to beat the bad weather that is coming. (Yes our whole life is about weather now!)
So, back to the water thing. We quickly learned that we could not drink the water coming out of the hose at the dock in our marina, (I can't even quite describe the color!). Our very nice neighbor (Jackie) had a car, and offered to drive us to a Home Depot in Rosarito to get a filter to put on the hose. ( I'd like to add, everything is about double the price here, which makes me feel very sad for the people. ) Needless to say, the (expensive) filter did not do the job, so Larry fired up our water maker. We only ran it when the tide was coming in, and seeing as we were the first boat in the marina as you come in, the water should be clean(ish). Just knowing what is in our ocean waters, and knowing it's desalinated just makes you want to gag a little when you first drink it! So, this worked out great for about three days until our water maker stopped working. Uh-oh. (Now we're a little more prepared with some huge jugs of fresh water tied down on deck!) Poor Larry worked on it for two days with no luck. So, we walked four miles round trip to that little mini market to buy water. I tried to not panic on the outside, but I have to admit I was a little worried. Being so fat and happy in safe Fremont, water was just never anything I really worried about . On a brighter note, we made a last minute decision to take the boat to Ensenada, because about thirty of our very best friends from Crossroads Church were coming in on a cruise ship. (Yeah! Fresh water to fill our tanks!) It was so great to see all of them and have them bless the S/V Lisa Kay. Ever since, we have felt a sort of rejuvenation. The past six months have been harder than either one of us could have imagined, but already we are finding strength that we never knew we had. I'm excited as I look ahead the possibilities.

| | More
Out of the Country
Lisa Anderson
12/29/2009, Puerto Salina, Mexico

Dec. 29, 2009
Enough with the balloons!!! In our very limited amount of time on the ocean, we have seen more balloons floating on top of the water! Regular ones, mylar ones, all tied up with their cute ribbon. This cannot be good. Not to mention if we wrapped one around our propeller... it could stop? I don't know, but that's the kind of stuff that scares me.
So...yes, I'm back. It's been a long time since I've written anything. It's been a combo of, lack of time/depression/frustration, oh and did I mention lack of time? Everything on a boat is hard. EVERYTHING on a boat takes triple the time. And, might I add, everything on a boat is expensive. We have spent double what we had allotted, to bring the boat up to speed for living purposes and blue water sailing. More about that, to follow later. I admit I'm spoiled. New upholstery, new countertops, new window coverings, new washer/dryer and oven. The sad thing is, not one of those things makes me happy. We're more comfortable, for sure, but with everything else that goes wrong it's like you are punched in the stomach three times a day. All the boat owners just look at us with a blank expression and say, "It's a boat." Most of our family and friends think we are nuts and cannot even fathom why we are doing this! I have to say, over the last six months I don't think Larry or I have questioned what or why we are doing this. I do think, though, we look at each other quite often, silently thinking to ourselves, "I had no idea this would be quite this hard!" Of course I blame Larry. He should have known! (Yes, I'm writing this with a half smile on my face!) I do wish he was a better communicator. I have never been more lonely in my entire life, even though Larry, Ben, Moe and I are all rarely more than a few feet apart. We've had a few friends come to visit, which has been such a blessing. And we have made a few new boat friends, that I'm sure will be lifelong. So, here we are, traveling from San Diego into Mexico. Our destination is Puerto Salina, just a little bit north of Ensenada. Should take us approximately six hours. We are motor sailing, (engine on, main sail up) cruising along at about eight knots. It is a pleasant ride today. Moe is happy and conked out on his bed in the cockpit. If we were in a car he would be freaking out. Moe is definitely showing his age. He also has been suffering from an antibiotic resistant staph infection, which he contracted after falling in the water in Ventura. Lovely, huh? We had a veterinarian who specializes in hospice and euthanasia come to the boat in San Diego for a consultation. We just want to make sure we are doing what is right for him, and are a little leary about getting competent veterinary care in Mexico. So, we are just taking it one day at a time, and are enjoying every minute with him.

Jan. 3, 2010
Happy New Year, or as we have now learned, Felix Ano Nuevo! We made it into Puerto Salina. Was very scary at the end. It's not always easy going into new marinas. You have no idea what the entrance is like, where you are going etc.... Our chart plotter got us close, and we could see the little green light flashing near the entrance, once every five seconds. Our mistake was, that we were late in leaving San Diego, therefore it was starting to get dark. The entrance had big rocks piled on either side, very symmetrical, (surely that must be it!) and we could see masts beyond, off to the left. The entrance was narrow though and the waves were crashing, but not quite all the way across the entrance. (Ha-ha!)" class=blogImg"

img src="/member//lisakay/images/the_smooth_entry_to_puerto_salinaa_scale.jpg" class="blogImg" class=blogImg

We went for it, and then once we entered it was like we were in this narrow slough that dead ended! Phew, to our amazement there was an opening on the left and we pulled into this tiny marina! Just in the knick of time before we lost all light! It's beautiful here, in a Mexico sort of cricket chirping, warm dry air sort of way. There are gorgeous mansions on the hill right by us, and high rise apartments that are half built and then just stopped, and really nice army men walking around with machine guns. According to everyone here, we are in the safest part of Mexico, right here in this marina. There are twenty army guys, and I think they are on a thirty day rotation. They all live in a small tent like structure on the dirt overlooking the entrance to the marina. They patrol all day and all night. I keep asking Larry, what are they looking for? At least there are toilets for them here, and I guess they have access to the showers, but other than that, they have nothing. We made pumpkin bread for them yesterday. We are completely isolated here. No cell phones, no internet, no TV. There are hardly any people around, no grocery store (apparently there is a place we can get some canned goods if we walk two miles up the road), and of course no restaurants. There is a cantina overlooking the beach, which actually does serve delicious food despite the buildings dilapidated (by American standards) appearance. Not to mention the innumerable dogs running around inside. The staff is as nice as can be, and work very hard. The place is filled with older, drinking and smoking Americans. The good news is, they have free Wii Fii! And yes, we were able to make our computer work there yesterday!
Our friends, Dave and Renae are here, two slips down. We were neighbors in the marina in Ventura, and again in San Diego. We just really love them. The familiarity with them is a huge comfort to us. They are on a beautiful 53 foot Selene, motor vessel. They took us to La Fonda, a restaurant a few miles up the road by taxi, for New Years Eve dinner. This is where Dave and Renae spent part of their honeymoon, thirty four years ago! I had the most delicious lobster! Very fun evening!
So, let's back up here a bit. I bet you're wondering how we got from Ventura to San Diego? Let me tell you it was quite a trip. We did it in one straight shot. Took around 22 hours. We knew we were trying to outrun a storm, but for the last five hours the storm outran us. At 4 AM, after Ben, Larry and I had been enjoying a magical evening of motor sailing under the stars, it went from 12 knots of wind to about 30 knots in about two minutes, pelting rain and angry seas. Fortunately we were not alone and had the sweetest, kindest man, Jon Jenks along with us as our teacher/helper. He and his family sailed to and lived in Japan as missionaries. He is very experienced, and his presence kept us calm. The waves over powered the auto pilot, so the men had to hand steer the remaining five hours, which is no easy feat. Ben and I basically succumbed to seasickness and retreated downstairs. Ugh! Apparently, when we came around Point Loma there were winds clocked at 60 knots and waves 14-18 feet high. I will say...our boat loved this! It felt like we were flying! We were so happy to pull into our slip at Kona Kai marina. Exhausted and exhilarated!
Now, you don't think I'm going to let you read this without some of my potty talk, do you?! Well, during the trip to San Diego, Larry thought he was able to macerate (the little pump that grinds up our discharge and pumps it overboard) our holding tank. Yes folks, this is what happens in the oceans. Mind you, we have pumped out every 4-5 days (at a pump out station) faithfully since the purchase of our boat in July, with the exception of that one time in the beginning by Rusty Buckets (remember...$30 for 30 gallons?). So, it was a treat to pull into a marina and not have to worry about it for a few days. But nooooo...the next day when the toilet was flushed you could smell it. Uh-oh, we're full!! Well, Larry is running off in a cab to Kaiser to get his wrist x-rayed thinking he may have fractured it the week before after a fall from the mast (you should have seen his head too!) Anyway, so I thought I would treat ourselves and see if we couldn't hire someone to come and pump us out. No problem, just hail Pepe La Poo on channel 16! Lo and behold he shows up but seems to have a problem getting suction. (Isn't this lovely ladies?) A few minutes later he says he is finished, $35.00 for our 30 gallons. Well, a couple of hours later our toilets won't stop running, hmmmm, Larry pulls up the floorboard over our holding tank and the tank is bulging! Literally leaking out raw sewage! Merry Christmas! No one is working over the holidays! This about did me in. What more could possibly go wrong with this boat?! We were very blessed, and found a wonderful man who came out Dec. 26 and got straight to work. All new pipes and fittings etc...I have no shame any more after having these guys come on our boat having to do what they had to do. I can't even begin to describe the smell. I just kept saying to him, "Thank God for people like you!" Now that we're here in Mexico, they'll come to our boat and pump us out for $3.00! I wonder where they take it afterwards?
We're off to Ensenada tomorrow to officially check in to the country. We are still working on Ben to keep his mouth shut, another words don't speak unless spoken to! I guess we'll be back to homeschooling tomorrow too. Which I might add, we love! Ben is doing just great! He also has become quite the surfer and had a wonderful instructor, Jeff Belzer, in Ventura. He usually surfed three times a week. This experience has been life changing for him. I can positively say, Ben is addicted to water. He even earned $12.50 today cleaning dinghies and boats in the harbor, wearing his new snorkel and mask from Santa!

Happy New Year to our family and friends! We miss you! We miss our old life...but we're forging ahead...because we have to...otherwise we wouldn't really be living, right?

| | More
Friendly People EVERYWHERE!
Lisa Anderson
09/15/2009, Ventura, Ca

Update #3

Awwww...the joys of boat ownership! We are quickly learning that anything that can go wrong...will go wrong! Mind you, we still have it pretty good, but this is a real stretch for me. I keep thinking...God has something big he is trying to teach me, so I'm trying to go with it. The problem is...there is no place TO GO WITH IT! A few times yesterday I tried to go for a walk, 406 steps to the bathroom, or 392 to the laundry facilities here at the marina, just to cool off a bit... cry... whine to myself etc...BUT NOOOO! There are friendly people EVERYWHERE! Making the "trying to maintain a low profile" thing really hard. They'll invite me over to their boat, or they have a really cute dog that is licking me, or they're telling me what a beautiful boat we have, and I JUST WANT TO PUNCH THEM! But I can't... because they are all so dang nice. AND HELPFUL! Boaters will stop whatever they are doing to help you. So, yes, I stopped and helped a nice gentleman carry his new, leaking dinghy up the dock ramp, so he could return it. He kept saying, "Are you sure you can do this?" I reassured him that I was stronger than I looked, when in reality I was so angry at the time I could have moved a mountain! I believe we are now life long friends. He has even offered to crew for us on the Baha Ha-Ha. (More on that another time.) Soooo, after a completely disastrous day, with workers on the boat since 8:30 AM, Rudy, my new friend, shows up with a glass of wine and his grandchild, a perfect age for Ben, and we all talk for hours. Ben and Austin became instant friends, enjoying dinner together and then trying to catch crabs with these little hooks they would tie on their fishing line, and bits of mussel that they would peel off the dock, and stomp on to get the meat as their bait. Needless to say, the crab won every time. So, that's how it is here. You have visitors off and on all the time. Whether you have just had a marital discussion (Ha!)...or haven't brushed your teeth, or done the dishes, or put on your makeup... it's just the way it is. God is trying to get me to lighten up, huh?!

So, let me back up here, and catch you up on our glorious past week. Last weekend was Pirate Days at Ventura Harbor. Ben was soooo into it! He dressed up each day, and we would watch the tall ship pull in with faux dead prisoners tied up on a line, shooting their canons along the way. It was very exciting. (As one neighbor put it, "Didn't you notice...we live on Main Street in Disneyland!") We rode the dinghy over and enjoyed all of the festivities. I saw more Jack Sparrows (why is he so sexy?), and yes Larry thoroughly enjoyed the winches too! Ben had a week long sailing class at the Ventura Yacht Club. He had the best time and it was so cute to stand on the back of our boat and watch him sail by in his little Laser and wave. His last day he capsized right in front of us, struggling, he flipped the boat back over (screaming the whole time about how cold it was) then says, "Oh snap, now I have to bail!". The instructor motors over, throws him a bucket and tells him to get started. Excellent life lesson there I'm sure. So, with Ben being gone from 9 - 4:30 each day, Larry and I thought we would get so much done, (or at least...ya know!) But, noooo! Larry got this urge to start to try things, such as the washer/dryer machine. BIG MISTAKE! We got so excited because at first it looked so good. We couldn't believe this piece of crap looking thing actually worked...but then... it didn't drain. over the next 24 hours it slowly drained in our engine room. Okay, so we have a little water mess, no biggy. Now all the men here LOVE this. They can spend hours with Larry trouble shooting (or shooting something, I don't know)...but as they do this they find other leaks. And they try other things, and then I yell to Larry, "Hey...did you just turn something on?" He runs down, and finds the relief valve on the hot water heater has blown, frying the electronics on it. It was quite impressive, and hot and steamy too! (I thought we had truly landed in Hell!) In the meantime, in pulling up the floor boards over one of our water tanks, our fears came true that we have a leak in one of our holding tanks. That's kind of a big deal. Now Larry, in his good naturedness, just keeps saying, "It ain't cancer." I just keep asking him..."Are ya livin the dream baby?" (I think I'd better stop saying that because he's gonna hit me one of these times!) Needless to say, we now have a new, beautiful hot water heater that works! A whole12 gallons, woo hoo! (Can't wait to see the plumbers bill.) Everyone says, what costs $100.00 on a house, costs $1000.00 on a boat. So, we are pretty bruised and beat up this weekend (they call them "boat bites"), and feel like we still have not accomplished anything towards our goal of leaving the end of October, (we haven't even sailed this dang vessel yet!) but we'll either make it or not. It's the journey right?

Ahoy matey...'til next time!

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. Hebrews 11:1

| | More
How Far Is the Bathroom?
Lisa Anderson
09/09/2009, Ventura, Ca

Update #2
FYI, it is exactly 406 steps to the bathroom, 812 round trip. Great weight loss strategy. Mind you, this doesn't include if you make another trip to shower, or walk the dog. And add on all the additional steps during the dog walk so he can relieve himself once he has walked the 400 or so steps! I am becoming much more particular as to how and what I shop for, because your car is out in the parking lot, which doesn't even start until you have taken your 406 steps to get to the lot. Humping groceries and laundry can be a whole day's work. I had forgotten the joys of a public launderette. Yesterday we found a rooster. No, not in the lauderette, he was running around outside of Starbucks. Now I normally would pick up any animal I found, however, I didn't think Larry would be too happy if I brought a rooster on the boat. Especially since we are in a marina as live aboards, which we're not supposed to be, and if we were, only two people are supposed to be on the boat and no pets! Hence, the low profile we are trying to maintain. Yesterday I slipped and fell into the metal rod of a life line. Needless to say, I have a painful contusion on my side/back. This was all just trying to get a box on board. I can't even keep my laundry baskets because I have to turn them sideways to get them through the doors which kind of makes it pointless to do laundry, if you know what I mean, because all the clean clothes fall on the dirty floor. People...never take for granted again...a toilet... endless running water...or a garage...or a driveway...walking ten steps and being in your your washer and dryer...or not sleeping in a washing machine (that's what our bedroom sounds like down below)...oh I could go on and on... I promise pictures are coming soon!

Love to you all!

| | More
Moving on the boat
Lisa Anderson
07/13/2009, Ventura, Ca

Update #1

Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 9:51 AM

Welcome to my blog of my experiences on the Lisa Kay. The opinions expressed are solely mine. Believe me, Ben and Larry have a whole 'nother set of 'em, I'm sure! Including some about me! Forgive me if you have already read the first two updates, as I did use a few people as my guinea pigs! Please, always read my writing with a twinkle in your eye, spirit in your heart, and LOT'S of inflection in your voice/mind. Another words... laugh. I'll let you know when you should be crying. Here goes...enjoy!

We are alive and well and have been living on the boat for exactly one week now! So, you know I'm not much of a camper...and this is very much like glorified camping. It takes us hours to do things that normally would take one. Partly, because it's hard for more than one person to move around on a boat at the same time because, believe it or not, a 55' sailboat is still VERY SMALL! If we use the two heads (toilets) on this boat, they fill up in about four days. Which means you either have to call Rusty Scupper's, this really cool lady who's probably 60 something, to come and pump you out, (mind you thirty gallons costs $30.00!) or you can drive your boat down to the pump out station and do it yourself for free. Now, every time you move a boat in a big beautiful harbor like this, with literally multi-million dollar boats, fishing vessels, kayakers, peddle boaters etc... you about have a heart attack, worried that you are going to hit something! Let's just say my prayer life has gone up dramatically! So has planning when and where I am going to go to the bathroom. Otherwise, we can walk about a 1/4 mile up off our dock and use the facilities here. That's where we shower as well, hence the camping feel. Now, remember, we also have an 80 lb dog on board. We literally have to lift him on and off the vessel as well as up and down the stairs. So, we have to plan his potty breaks too! We had our first new friends for dinner last night, Debora and Lawrence. They have been so nice to us since we came. Their boat is exactly like ours, and they are just a few slips down. Have you ever cooked a meal in a kitchen 2 feet wide and 4 feet long, with propane stove and really only one burner that works, no bowls, colander, paring knife etc... (because not all of my stuff is unpacked from storage yet because you can only take about one box out a day because you have to walk it 1/4 mile to the boat and then when you bring it on board you have to magically find a place for everything in spaces that just don't exist?!). CAMPING! All in all, things are good. Ben is having the time of his life despite no TV, or W ii, or friends. He has learned to boogie board and fish. Even though we are in practically a retirement community here, because that is who normally can afford boats like this, (oh yeah, I forget Larry is retired!) they are learning to like Ben and think he is a pretty cool kid. Don't get me wrong, the view is gorgeous, the birds and fish and seals spectacular, just is gonna take some time getting used to! Started going to a friends' (Freddy's) childhood church in Ojai. What a welcome relief to find a place we can go and feel accepted and loved and supported while we are here in Ventura. God is always so good, in so many ways. We think of you all often and miss you very much! We have Ben signed up for sailing classes starting next week. He is really looking forward to them.

| | More
Crossing the Equator
Lisa Anderson
12/31/1969, Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean

This is a test, this is only a test. Had this been an actual blog you would have been instructed where to read for unofficial information.


| | More

Newer ]


Powered by SailBlogs